+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why do you fly fish?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Re: Why do you fly fish?

I am not sure, except for the fact that it suits me. Perhaps it is because fly fishing (for me, at least) is more of a meditative, introspective activity, compared to conventional fishing.

Or maybe it's the Lone Wolf in me, since fly-fishing is mostly a private experience, even if you go with someone else. I get in a contemplative state to where nothing seems to exist for the moment except myself and the immedeate surroundings, which I fully experience. I become aware of so many things that go unnoticed at other times, such as the feel of cool drafts off the water on my face.... the crisp smell of the water and fragrance of the forest..... the sounds of running water, birds, frogs, and other fauna, breezes through the trees, sometimes creating a symphonic epiphany of the true meaning of life, yet other times as soft as a lovers whisper, with a promise of things yet to come.

Perhaps it is because the discipline and concentration required may have a soul-cleansing effect at times, or maybe it provides a level of mental/intellectual stimulation that I must have from time-to-time, the same reason that chess is about the only game that I play.

There could possibly be some Fruedian, or Jungian conotations to it, or maybe some Kierkegaardian Existentialistic dimensions with overtones of Nieztche that cause me to gravitate towards fly fishing.

It could be a myriad of reasons that I am not consciously aware of, but I do know that it is a large part of my life, for whatever reason.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    There could possibly be some Fruedian, or Jungian conotations to it, or maybe some Kierkegaardian Existentialistic dimensions with overtones of Nieztche that cause me to gravitate towards fly fishing.
    Finally. someone had the courage to say what we've all been thinking!

I was given a hand me down fly rod thrity some odd years ago, as a kid the long rod was a magical vehicle taking a kid in south central texas to the places I would read about in field & stream. I learned from reading and trial and error ( there were a lot of errors ) to cast and mend then later to tie my own flys. As I grew older there were bass boats and run and gun style fishing but this style of fishing was missing something, then it dawned on me it is not about the catching, or even the fishing, fly fishing for me (as others have stated) is about connecting with the past while being engage in the moment. it is the the way my senses come alive on the water watching trout rising to a hatch, or stalking tailing reds on a flat, I become aware of the things we all take for granted all to often, the smell of moutian laural, the sounds of the mocking birds in the brush the feel of felt on rocks or bare feet in sand. this is why I fly fish and why I teach fly fishing to scouts and other youth groups. I think we all ultimatly find our own inner reasons for chasing fish with fur and feathers my hope is that some of the young people I have introduced to this type of fishing are lucky enough to find some of the peace I found in a hand me down long rod.

darryl

Once I started fly-fishing, I never looked back - haven't touched a spin-casting rod or a worm since.

I fly-fish because it:
    - is more challenging than regular fishing,
    - is more action-oriented (compared to passive sitting/standing in regular fishing),
    - distracts me from work (fly fishing requires your full attention), and
    - makes me feel closer to nature.

Back in the 1950s thumbing through the old Outdoor Life, Sports Afield and Field and Stream fly fishing seemed such magic, and when an old metal rod was given to me by a dying neighbor, that magic came to life. I find that same magic still today. Back then you pretty much had to tie your own if you wanted to fish, and since I grew up in bass and bluegill country these were the fish I grew up catching, and still catch today. There was never an association with fly fishing and trout. I still find magic in creating flies, wrapping a rod, in the casting, with being in magical places with a wonder wand. JGW

I started fly fishing because I wanted to find a way to catch more fish than my dad. He is a worm fisherman and can catch fish out of a Tupperware dish. That was when I was 10 years old and let me tell you, it still didn't happen. Now it is a disease that I hope they never find a cure for.

I fly fish because:

I like to be in a good company.
    I like to be outdours in good weather.
    I like to fight and catch fish.

Why I still fish is strange because I often fish alone, in bad weathers without catching anything!

It's the whole experience, from deciding where to go, what to take and then the getting there. Most trout don't live in ugly places..so... There is usually a great scenic view, I get to shoot the breeze with a buddy on the way there and back, or I can go alone and I get to forget about anything other than how to outsmart a fish, I get outdoors, I can play with the equipment on the lawn, I can try and tie some flies, its fun, I don't have to take the fish home with me (that pleases them too), there is a limitless supply of toys that I can spend my money on and oh yes there is also a limitless number of opinions on what to buy, what to use , when to go (on the last one I'm usually a week to early or a week to late) and of course where to go..'nuff said....
    It's also the only place I can smoke a cigar and not get yelled at!!
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

I must say I am really enjoying following this thread, they always put a smile on my face

Man now I want to go and toss a couple of flies
    Remember we all live down stream

It's how I was raised. Dad started me on the fly when I was 6 years old, almost 30 years ago. I do once in awhile take the spinning gear out, but don't seem to enjoy that as much. I think the bigest draw for me is the challenge. Being able to read the water and figure out what the fish want is very satisfying.
    My wife and I met through fly fishing. She had seen the movie and wanted to give it a shot. So I took her winter steelheading on the P.M. one december morning. I figured if she was tough enough to wade for 3 hours in that nasty cold water without catching anything, withuot complaining, that I should probably hang on to this one.

+ Reply to Thread