+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing Davis Lake

Default Killing Davis Lake

I don't know if anyone else is aware of this situation but I heard the story on National Public Radio yesterday evening on the way to work. It seems that in CA. Davis Lake has a population of Pike that have eaten all the native trout. No one knows how the Pike got there but there was an attempt to kill them about a year and a half ago, but it failed. This time they will kill everything with gills, then restock the lake after the kill is over.

Does anyone know more about this?

Rusty <><

Default Re: Killing Davis Lake

No, but you might reference Diamond Lake Oregon...wasn't pike but they have had to totally kill that lake twice over the years.

Oh, and our Davis Lake here, I'm told, has turned from a primo trout lake to more of a bass fishery.

Regarding Lake Davis the danger is that the pike will escape into the Sacramento River Delta and then you can kiss that fishery goodbye. Pike are voracious predators and eat anything that swims including each other.

THe pike were seeded by jerks, the same kind of idiots who have introduced lmb to Crane Prairie and Davis Lake here in Oregon.

Whats so wrong with pike that they need to be killed off for doing as they are meant to do naturally?...Penns Creek suports a healthy population of toothy fishes and I sure hope it continues too. trout are a favorite food for the species, wish we had a good Pike lake here! or trout lake for that matter...None of the local lakes are of cold enough nature to support trout.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

On the NPR story they interviewed a lady that used to run a hamburger stand or at least that's what she called it. She was saying that since the trout are gone the fishermen are gone too.
    I understand them wanting to kill them before they get into any of the neighboring tributaries but I would think electric shock would be a better solution than killing everything that lives in the lake. They said in the story that even the bugs would be affected. I just hope they've thought this thing through.

Rusty <><

Lakes in Oregon are managed for whatever fish the State chooses. IF someone takes it on them self to introduce a non native fish, it can be catastrophic, as in the case of Diamond Lake in southern Oregon. Diamond's famous trout fishing DIED, FOR YEARS! At the time, THE MOST popular fishing Lake in Oregon. Here is another illustration; We hiked around Diamond Lake a few yrs ago and we came upon a Campground....And the ONLY inhabitants were ONE trailer, The Camp Host. Hundreds of Empty Camp Sites All because some LAW BREAKER(S) introduced Chub to Diamond.
    So if you follow regulations, like a decent human being, then we don't have these problems. READ the Report on the Rotenone chemical that will be used to kill the Pike. This chemical is NOT Agent Orange!, It suffocates the Pike and they can't breath anymore. Rotenone is temporary!
    People just can't leave ANYTHING alone! Are their brains so much MUSH they can't transport their butts to a PIKE LAKE???
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Rusty...check out the Diamond Lake stories...wonderful success story...total kill to start with....

Yes I know a bit about it.

They do know how the pike got there,,,A IDIOT! smuggled them in and planted them!
    They did it many times and they soon multiplied!

DFG has caught many idiots trying to put more in and some trying to take them out which they cannot do.

They are killing all the rainbows is what the problem is, and they were never intended to be in Davis lake,,,They are ruining the fantastic fishery.

Now they want to kill everything and start over which will cost BOOCKOO bucks to do.

BUT! Idiot's have threatened to replant the pike in Davis once again when and after the DFG struggles to plant all the nice trout back in there....That is ridiculous!

I have never even fished Davis lake,,,But wanted to for the trout it contains. Now it will have to wait because there isn't many left. On the other hand I may go anyway to check out the toothy creatures that it now has,,,And maybe catch one...

I did not read panmans link,,, so if this is repeat info, sorry.

Let me see if I got a handle on this....The fear is for neighboring Sac. River System...But if this is close by...whats to say these same ppl have not already made that happen? I doubt they'd stop at just one location...I think it'll just be a waste of tax payers money and the circle will just need to be repeated as soon as everyone's thinking they've got it under control and things back where the money grabbers want it...Pretty sad for everyone ....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread