I fished the Salmon River this weekend. As mentioned in the other post, river is at an all time low (that is an understatement). Hundreds of fish sighted from the bridge on Route 3 near the mouth of the river on Friday, check again on Saturday they started the move up stream. Douglaston area (I do not fish - that $30 thing) was the hot spot on Saturday. Sunday the Black hole was starting up and by Sunday evening (I visited the Black hole and below) fish were starting to run. Monday morning after a good rain (which did not increase the flow by much) hundreds of fish went by and by the time I had to leave at 10:00 had many hookups and my friend landed three.

A guy next to me had a steelhead on and lost it along with about 6-7 hook ups. One guy hooked up 7 times and landed 2 salmon. These are all fly hookups by the way. Very crowded in that stretch of stream yesterday but the fish were there and moving.

Many fish still staged at the mouth and getting ready to run. Word was that a large group of Coho's went the distance on Sunday morning.

I will be headed back up this weekend and hopefully the fish will be running in all parts of the river by then!

Oh yeah, for entertainment I saw a few arguments that were interesting but no knock down, drag out fights.

Other streams (Little Sandy, etc.) are almost dry if not dried up and many are cut off from the lake by natural sand dams cutting water flow. That reminds me of a time my son was fishing in Wisconsin by lake Michigan and the sand dams kept the water from flowing. He found an old snow shovel and made a ditch about 50 yards to the lake while others watched him and his buddy. First pass through the water was a trickle and he told the fisherman to get on his side before it started to flow. Some listened and others laughed. About a 1/2 hour later after the second and third shoveling the water took over and the big dam formed at the top gouged out a ditch about 6 feet wide and a few feet deep. There was no crossin the creek now and all those stranded had to walk a mile or two up stream to get back to their cars. But the fish started running and many came up the river for a good day or fishing.

Moral of the story, maybe you better throw in a snow shovel!