+ Reply to Thread

Thread: love my job

Default love my job

I work for Union Pacific, and tomorrow Im running a Form B for contracters. Basically I own the tracks. Trains have to contact me to pass by the contracters. 8 hours listening for trains. So I rigged up a shelf to go in my truck and while waiting will be tying flies. It ends at 3:30 and since I will be five minutes from South Santiam might as well try my new flies. Life is good

Default Re: love my job

Clyde,

Just remember to Stop Look and Listen and have a great time!

My grandpa was and engineer on The Bessmer Lake Erie route in the fortys.

Take care!

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan
    Clyde,

Just remember to Stop Look and Listen and have a great time!

My grandpa was an engineer on The Bessmer Lake Erie route in the forty's boy did
    he have some stories.

Take care!

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I love your job too !! ..............ModocDan
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Quote Originally Posted by clyde holmes
    I work for Union Pacific, and tomorrow Im running a Form B for contracters. Basically I own the tracks. Trains have to contact me to pass by the contracters. 8 hours listening for trains. So I rigged up a shelf to go in my truck and while waiting will be tying flies. It ends at 3:30 and since I will be five minutes from South Santiam might as well try my new flies. Life is good

Life is good!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I hate to sound like a geek but I LOVE trains; especially the history of the railroads and trolley lines in my part of the world.

One of my favorite places on earth to fish is a local stream with an active NS branch; (former LNE). A good day there becomes great when I get to see the local doing its run both ways! Another favorite spot is the mighty Susquehanna which where I usually fish, requires me to cross the former 4 track; (now three) Pennsy main line.

While this is train watchers delight; I HATE it when they lay one over on the passing track and I have to climb over it to get to the river. One of these days I have a feeling I'm going for a LOOOONNG ride!

Yea, I love your job too!

nighthawk Guest

I grew up with the B. & L. E. (Bessemer and Lake Erie). My hometown of Grove City, Pa. is where one of their diesel engine/locomotive shops and foundry was located. Many of my friends and family worked there. The Bessemer shops are long gone now. G.E. bought the line back some years so they could keep their Grove City, Pa. locomotive plant in operation. The B. & L.E. crosses a lot of good fishing waters. Here are some great pictures of the line from a friend of the family:

http://users.zoominternet.net/~jamieo/B ... _Page.html

The Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad still holds several world records for freight and tonnage.

+ Reply to Thread