OK,
I've settled on a couple rods that I'm considering. I am looking at medium to medium-fast action rods. I want one in the 7'6" to 8' range and in 3 weight.

Here are the ones I've been looking at.

Winston WT / IM 6
Winston BIIt
Sage SLT
Orvis Superfine Trout Bum
Scott G2
TFO Finnesse

Of these, I've test cast the Orvis and the Winston BIIt. I have not cast the Sage but with the fire sales going on with that rod being discontinued, the prices are quite attractive. Of course the IM6 Winston is no longer made, but there are a number of them floating around.

So, for those who have cast different examples, what's your opinion of these rods? What about the Sage SLT? I know they call it medium fast action, but how does it compare to the others.

I have a Scott G2 9' 5wt and really like it's action to give a baseline of the kind of rod I like.

I'm not really interested in bamboo yet.

So, let the comments fly. I got the go ahead from the Chief Financial Officer (aka the wife) to get my 3wt.

I have a Battenkill Bar Stock II reel on the way to go with my new short 3 weight.

Oh by the way, this rod will be used on small streams which have substantial canopy and streamside vegitation. for both trout and some bluegill/pumpkinseeds and smallmouth bass (not going after lunkers with this outfit).

Thanks,
Jeff

eidted, I left off the TFO Finnesse series.