+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dremel/scissor sharpening

Default Dremel/scissor sharpening

I have a pair of tying scissors that I love. I guess you'd call them clippers. They have blue handles; just one finger hole at the bottom and fit in the palm of my hand.
    Here's the big question: Anyone have a suggestion as to how I sharpen the blades. I have a dremel tool and I was wondering if I could use it. I tried a regular sharpening stone but it didn't seem to do much.

Default Re: Dremel/scissor sharpening

If you really love them have a professional sharpen them. Take them to a fabric store if you can't find one any other way. Most professionals pick up from stores like that several times a week.
    The angle on scissors can be a problem if you've never done it before. When you buy a set of Spyderco stones they have instructions for sharpening anything that cuts.
    Never use a power tool to sharpen anything to care about. It will heat the blade and take away the temper.

Rusty <><

Thanks, PCRusty: Good idea. There are several shops around here. I just thought maybe it was something I could attmpt myself.

Blog Entries

What brand are they, some of those have replacement blades available.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I could buy replacement blades, true. I'm at work and I can't even remember the brand name right now. When I bought the scissors I also bought an extra pair of blades, but they got dull from sitting around so long. since I made this post earlier, I found a guy that will sharpen the blades for $4.50. I think I paid about $15 for the scissors so they seems good to me.

I second the professional help comment. I have a friend who can take a knife that you can use to shave and turn it into a butter knife on a whett stone in a matter of seconds. I don't know how many times I've been asked to sharpen his knives and the amount of time it's taken me to get the proper angle back on the edge. I finally asked him to give me his sharpening stone and banned him from ever trying again . We're both happier now.

Scissors are even more critical because you have essentially two cutting edges with vastly different angles that have to meet. If it's an old pair and are basically junk and you want to experiment, go for it. If' they're nice and something you value, pay the few dollars and have someone do it for you.

Also, NEVER use a dremmel or any power grinder on any edged tool.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Jeff: I've been all over the internet and I can't even find the scissors I own or a pair like them. I know I've seen them somewhere, but I can't remember where. They're similar to A. K. Best's. Like he suggested I drilled a small hole and glued a small darning needle into the scissors to use as a bodkin and a hand whip finish tool. It works great and I never have to lay them down as I'm finishing a fly. I must be getting old because I can't remember the brand. Maybe somebody can help out with the name?

I'm surprised! I just found a pair called Finishing Scissors made by Dr. Slick. Never knew they made 'em.

Blog Entries

Al Beatty, BT's fly fishing products (FAOL Sponsor) has the scisors and blades (weiss brand) the scisors are 15.25 and the blades are $8.00

http://www.btsflyfishing.com/
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Thanks, Eric: I'd rather get them from a sponsor of FAOL.

+ Reply to Thread