+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock Bass

Default Rock Bass

So. I've been fishing this pond for like a year now. I've caught plenty of bass, quite a few very, very large bluegill, one crappie and just yesterday I had a rock bass hit.............................get this......................a rattletrap!!

I decided since I'd beed fishing with the flyrod exclusively there for about 9 months to switch things up and use the spinning rod on the pond. I was shocked to see a rock bass since none of them had hit any of my flies(that rack bass usually will hit) but I was quite impressed it went after a rattletrap of that size(the usual larger size you use for bass). Picture to come of the little devil.

I caught 5 bass with the first 5 casts!! They hit a crawfish pattern rattletrap.

I don't know why but I am kind of enthralled with rock bass.

Click to enlarge:
    [url=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q11/bigbadwulff/fish%20pictures/Rockbassbville.jpg:bd328][/url:bd328]
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Default Re: Rock Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff
    So. I've been fishing this pond for like a year now. I've caught plenty of bass, quite a few very, very large bluegill, one crappie and just yesterday I had a rock bass hit.............................get this......................a rattletrap!!

I decided since I'd beed fishing with the flyrod exclusively there for about 9 months to switch things up and use the spinning rod on the pond. I was shocked to see a rock bass since none of them had hit any of my flies(that rack bass usually will hit) but I was quite impressed it went after a rattletrap of that size(the usual larger size you use for bass). Picture to come of the little devil.

I caught 5 bass with the first 5 casts!! They hit a crawfish pattern rattletrap.

Click to enlarge:
    [url=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q11/bigbadwulff/fish%20pictures/Rockbassbville.jpg:cb9a2][/url:cb9a2]
    Nice to see there is another fly flinger brave enough to admit that we sometimes use other equipment. I frequently have the 6' ultralight spinning rod in the canoe with the fly rod. While bass fishing I managed to get this silly perch to hit an F7 flatfish.

If it was not a catch & release lake, I would have cleaned it and sent it to JC. I caught enough of them for a decent meal for two people. Sorry, JC.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I have good luck with catching Rock Bass using a #10 Black Gnat fished slow on the bottom near rock, logs and pipes.

Tight Lines!

Greg

I love using flat fish. Of course these southern fish don't like them ,but.............
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

YOURE USING THE SPINNING ROD!?!?? TRAITOR!!
    jk, i use the regular rod frequently too. i actually caught a bluegill on a big ol 6 inch rapala one time which confused the heck outa me...

Among the salt water flyrodders I know, a spinning rod is known as the "devil stick"! But every last one has a "devil stick" in their trunk for those days when it's just too windy -- including me.

There are sites for your kind, Is there not!...lol...Though I dare say I've not used these tactics in many a moon...

Can hardly believe you had'nt caught any on the fly though...they love crayfish,nymph's,wet flies,streamers. ect, ect............
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

BBW;
    We catch quite a few 'Black Perch" in the rivers here on both hoppers and soft hackles. A fun fish to catch and good eatin' too!
    I confess to carrying a spinning rod in my car but it hasn't see water in 4 years!

+ Reply to Thread