+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anchor trolley's????

Default Anchor trolley's????

I have a question for those Kayak user's who are Right hand Caster's.....Which side of the Yak, Do you preffer your trolley to be on??...

I'm thinking I want a trolley system..Just not sure which side of the yak I wanna put it on..as I know there are going to be drawbacks no matter which I go with...But I'm thinking the left side would be the best from a line handleing stand point, Anchor line that is! ...

How much does the wind spin you around after you've got setup where ya think it's jus'right?....with a trolley system.

Thanks all!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Default Re: Anchor trolley's????

Assuming you hold the rod in your right hand to fight fish, I would place the trolley on the left side. This allows you to haul in the anchor while fighting the fish.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Just got off the water, Had a great evening! Bitten off twice

And pretty much think a trolley would really be the way to go..Been useing a two anchor setup and tonight . It really got to be a total pain...Lost a piece to the front anchor that came with the yak...and a few other little bumps have me thinking I deffinitely want a trolley and a much lighter anchor of a solid design, IE... no floppy flukey things to get tangled in Line/Under water weed growth..

After what I experienced tonight I am also adding a Drouge to the list of must gets...I found that by useing the steering lever of the rudder and lightly pumping a single peddle of the mirage drive I can hold in one place pretty decently in a moderate wind...coupleing this with a drouge I'm sure it could be done in a rather stiff wind as well...

Only the second time I've really found myself wanting to anchor and really work an area..I'm usually in more of a drifting mood and It gets annoying fighting the wind, Even a moderate one...

I am perplexed by anchor trolleys. Not what they are but rather why anyone would want one. They are a series of ropes and wheels that allow you move a ring from the front of your boat to the back. The concept is identical to those clothslines that you see between old apartment buildings (very popular in 1950's sitcoms). They allow you to lift and lower the anchor at the end of the boat (if you do this in the middle there it an excellent opportunity to flip). After you have lifted the anchor at the end you can then crank it over to the middle. and lift it up and put it in your lap. But why would you do this? If the anchor is at the end of the boat, you pull it up out of the water and leave it there and paddle away. I would just as soon not drill extra holes in the boat to install the trolley and not have the extra wheels and cable to get tangled up with fish and fly lines.

From my experience, if you put an anchor down at one end of the boat you will swing in the wind. You are in a fairly unique situation in that you can move your boat with our feet. Most folks have to rely on two anchors to keep them stable in the wind. I have seen kayaks rigged with a trolley system on both sides of the boat to allow bow and stern anchors to be used.

I really would like your opinion on that advantage of anchor trolleys over just leaving an anchor hanging off the front and the back.

David

In my case it'll be used mostly with a Drouge, Especially while Fishing the Floss Blowline setup! (Keeping the yak quartering or broadside is a +).
    This style of fly fishing has really gotten me into some big fish in the past couple months, Fish I did'nt even relize existed on my local lakes...and I've caught Bass to 6-8 pounds on standard Fly equipment!!

Pike also like to take a swipe at the dancing flies!!

For those who may have missed the article on Blowline fishing....Do a search for Floss Blowline on this site.....I look forward to windy days now!!

And the simplicity of use as aposed to piddeling with first one then the other...and then yet more piddeling as wind shift's or what have you....A simple slide of the trolley line to counter whatever may be effecting your drift would surely be animprovment over untieing and re- tieing lines off.

In open water with a yak as stable as mine, Flipping while useing a drouge is not a worry...Ppl put sails on these Outback's! and sail the blue water....Being as I am not all that cough...great cough at cough cough swimming cough cough icantswim cough...lol...I'd have thought of a totally different mode of water transpartation if this were a dreaded concern...Nore would I have employed 2 anchors in the first place!

Bill:

Thank you for your replay. That really does make sense and seems like an excellent justification for an anchor trolley.

David

+ Reply to Thread