+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swinging Zugs on the North Umpqua....

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Default Swinging Zugs on the North Umpqua....

I'm new to FAOL First day, in fact. Lifelong fisherman.... 35 years swinging flies.
    I learned flyfishing on Oregon's North Umpqua in the late '60s . Ever since, and everywhere I've been, I've always carried it in my heart as a wonderful, magical place. Two weeks ago I had a chance to go back after a few years.. My son and I threw flies for two days, both in the fly area, and at Whistler's Bend.
    We were running a dropper rig, with a size 10 dark green Muddler and a size 14 Zug dropper. At Whistler's we used a Beadhead Zug, up in the fly water, we ran the Zug plain, gettin it to sink by keepin it wet. We caught trout beginning with the first cast, anywhere from 8 to 16 inches. Lost track of the count, but mostly clipfins. a few natives, though. Some were pretty bright, likely Steelies. Sent 'em all back to fight another day. Had more than a few grabs that felt like steelhead, but we were usually two late, and didn't bag any. A few of the larger trout had a healed scar from other battles, Thanks to barbless, they're still fighting. Never got any interest in the Muddlers. Kept them there for indicators. Water seemed a little low, and the folks I talked to thought it was a litlte warm, probably why the steelhead action was spotty. Did see a fella there go a few rounds with a nice one, but he tossed the fly about the second dance. All in all, a fabulous weekend, stayed ar Idleyld, came home happy and relaxed. Already have plans to go back in October
    "Fishin' will get you through a day of no Whisky better than Whisky will get you through a day of no Fishin' "

Default Re: Swinging Zugs on the North Umpqua....

Thanks Dan, sounds like a grand time. Welcome home.

modocdan,
    It sounds like your going to fit in just fine around here! Welcome to the Bulletin Board!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

theres somthing about Oregon that calls you back again and again.

Welcome to the board

Eric

In Idaho but hiding my webed feet.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Welcome modocdan, this is the best site of it's knd that exists on the planet !! Give me a shout in October....I got steel up on the North on Sunday with a #4 October Caddis dry pattern...who knows what I might have done with a wet. Gotta love Whistler's Bend !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard, modocdan. Get yourself a cup of coffee. JC and LadyFisher make a fine pot of coffee. Feel free to grab a seat and join the conversations.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread