I'm new to FAOL First day, in fact. Lifelong fisherman.... 35 years swinging flies.
I learned flyfishing on Oregon's North Umpqua in the late '60s . Ever since, and everywhere I've been, I've always carried it in my heart as a wonderful, magical place. Two weeks ago I had a chance to go back after a few years.. My son and I threw flies for two days, both in the fly area, and at Whistler's Bend.
We were running a dropper rig, with a size 10 dark green Muddler and a size 14 Zug dropper. At Whistler's we used a Beadhead Zug, up in the fly water, we ran the Zug plain, gettin it to sink by keepin it wet. We caught trout beginning with the first cast, anywhere from 8 to 16 inches. Lost track of the count, but mostly clipfins. a few natives, though. Some were pretty bright, likely Steelies. Sent 'em all back to fight another day. Had more than a few grabs that felt like steelhead, but we were usually two late, and didn't bag any. A few of the larger trout had a healed scar from other battles, Thanks to barbless, they're still fighting. Never got any interest in the Muddlers. Kept them there for indicators. Water seemed a little low, and the folks I talked to thought it was a litlte warm, probably why the steelhead action was spotty. Did see a fella there go a few rounds with a nice one, but he tossed the fly about the second dance. All in all, a fabulous weekend, stayed ar Idleyld, came home happy and relaxed. Already have plans to go back in October