Hi there,

Well, I am happy to report that the batch of poppers that I put together back last winter were a huge success on the smallmouth. I gave a few to a couple friends to try also and the bass slammed them. So, you know what happened next, my friends want more for next season.

Since I am not a very good painter and this was the first time I had made these things, the finished product was a little rough (not that it mattered apparently) but like all things I want them to be a little more polished. I painted the Wapsi foam popper bodies with a brush, 1 color - yellow, and black eyes, then proceeded to brush on a clear coat for some shine. I painted some red on the bellies of a couple which apparently made them better. It was acrylic paint but I noticed that the eyes "ran" a little when I brushed on the clear coat even though I let it dry for two days in between coats.

Do you guys paint them with a regular brush or do you airbrush them? Airbrushing would give them a more even finish I would think. If you do airbrush them, is there a particular setup that you find works well? I will only make about 20-30 of these things probably over the winter and not wanting to break the bank I was just going to get one of those Testors kits with the propellant cans but they are pretty pricey and maybe I could hook it up to my small air compressor that I can adjust the flow of air on.

What do you guys use? I enjoyed making them, just want to make them better or more polished I guess. Thanks,

Dwight