+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Look at this Tiger Muskie!!!!

nighthawk Guest

Default Look at this Tiger Muskie!!!!

Scroll about half way down the page until you get to the picture of the tiger Muskie at Little Buffalo State Park:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/be/s ... spring.htm

After I saw this monster I proclaimed to the Rangers that I was going to need a bigger boat than my 14' canoe! These are my home waters so now you all know why I use those big, heavy fly rods. I have seen several muskies in this lake that are over 3'. The largest I have caught was a little over 2'. I have also seen walleye over 28" taken from this lake.

I think these fish get big from eating all those stocked trout that get put into the lake. There are also big bass and big pan fish in this lake.

Default Re: Look at this Tiger Muskie!!!!

That Striper kind of gets the mouth watering and the rod hand twitching as well!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Eric,
    Thanks for the great photos!! That is a BIG FISH!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

nighthawk Guest

I went into the park office to stand there admiring that muskie. I don't think they will let me back into the office because of all of the drool I left on the floor. They claim it to be a slip and fall accident in the making. [url=http://www.thesmilies.com:72525][/url:72525]

Dang, that would be a lot of fun to catch!

I wonder if the person whose tackle and line were in it's mouth and gills ever found out what they lost. If so, they are probably kicking themselves!

Don
    Don Rolfson

I can't believe the size of that fish for a like that small, 51". That lake is even smaller than Memorial Lake! I don't know what I'd with a fish that big on the end of my line, probably have alot of fun.

jkilroy

A little off topic, but is gold a common colour variation for trout, or is that something you might see more in stocked fish? It's a new one on me!

WOW, that is some fish. Too bad they couldn?t revive the poor guy. What a thrill it must be to cast to one that size, never mind catch one. BTW, it?s great to see the effort PA is making to get kids involved. Great pics!

Humber Brad,

?Gold Trout? is a strain of Rainbow Trout developed in hatcheries, descended from a single female that popped up in a WV hatchery. I think they?re stocked for put and take fisheries in WV and MO in addition to PA. Maybe other places too. They tend not to last too long in the wild, since they?re pretty easy to spot. Usually they?re raised to trophy size in the hatcheries before stocking, and they tend to grow faster in hatcheries than ?regular? rainbows.

When they?re bred back to normal rainbows they sometimes produce weird colored offspring like ?Palomino Trout? which PA stocks as both trophy and average size.

When they?re bred to each other sometimes you get weird colored off spring like rainbows with a sky blue body. Kind of a frankenfish IMHO.

The beautiful Golden Trout of the high mountains out west is a completely separate species.

peregrines

+ Reply to Thread