+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Finger-Reel" for Bass???

Default "Finger-Reel" for Bass???

I grew up catching perch on poppin' bugs, fishing small creeks and ponds. I recently started fishing for bass, and need advice on handling monsters... I always used a "finger-reel" instead of the reel on my rod, but now I need more line available. Advice on shifting to reel, or can I keep using the "finger-reel"???

--In response to questions: Maybe it's a Missouri thing, but "finger-reeling" is using your non-casting hand as a "reel". Spread your index finger away from the other three, and using your wrist, wrap the line around your fingers in a "figure-eight". When you need more line, point your hand toward the tip of the rod, and it will feed perfectly with no chance of snagging. I have never seen anyone use a "real" reel for anything but storing line.

Default Re: "Finger-Reel" for Bass???

Well this is a new one on me. I've been fly fishing for 40+ years and have never heard of a "finger reel". but in answer to your question, any good quality reel will do. You don't need one with a fancy drag. I fish Orvis Battenkills, Pflueger Medalist ( USA made) and a Scientific Anglers System One 789 click and pawl.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I am with you anglerdave. I have never heard of a finger reel and I would really like to know what one is. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

I believe Mr jcasebee is referring to fighting a fish with the line pinched to the grip as opposed to getting the fish on the reel.
    In my experience, normally there's not often a lot of time to get the fish on the reel
    With a good bass and the cover that they will often try to escape to, you need to get control right away
    There's rarely time to reel in any extra line
    Do the best you can, that's what makes it fun
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I appreciate the clarification. I was confused. Thanks John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

What I always knew as finger reeling is what Gary Lafontaine referred to as a "hand twist retrieve" only with a fish on. Yeah, it should work as long as the bass aren't too huge. I tend to use the "real" reel on fast running fish like wipers to avoid accidentally getting a finger caught in a loop of line, but bass, while strong, aren't real fast so there should be no problem keeping your fingers sorted out from the line.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

That's a first for me Bluegill,
    In 40 years of fly fishing I've never heard of anyone using a hand-twist retrieve to land a fish
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Nah.....he is not asking for what new reel to use. What a small......big world. I know what he is referring to. When I was 12 no one fished fly rods. I saved up coke bottles and turned them in for 2 cents deposit till I got $6.75 and bought a South Bend or Shakespear 6' fiberglass rod with an automatic reel. I had no clue how to fly fish. No books, relatives....nada. I taught myself how to fly fish. But didn't know techniques or knots or anything. THEFORE when I hooked a bluegill "I developed a figure eight way to retreive.....except I use the index finger and that well known middle one as one end and the pinky and it's neighbor as the other....AND I DID A FIGURE EIGHT line take in......because I didn't know any better!

He is asking HOW to take in line and land a fish.....using some other method than the only one he knows....his figure eight. I have never heard of it before till now. I thought it was my own dumb way of doing it because I didn't know how you were supposed to do it.

So this is too long already. He wants to know HOW to strip in line and land a fish....plain and simple. Either stripping it in and holding it with the reel hand while keeping a tight line....and reaching up and strippiing in more line and holding it again. OR....how to get and land a fish on the reel. He does not know how to do either.

He is simply asking how to normally catch and land a fish on a fly rod!

And one answer is no the figure eight will not work on bass. When they run AT you.....you will have absolutely no way whatsoever to take in line fast enought to keep a tight line. You need to learn the normal ways.

Wow, what a small world. And I thought I was the only one that ever did that.

Now someone else can now explain it to him.

Just FYI

Gemrod,

Yes, exactly.

So... If finger-reeling won't work (It didn't the other night), what is the proper procedure for using a reel on a fly-rod?

When strip-whatevering a streamer, do I strip AND reel?

I don't understand how to get the slack out to start reeling. I've been fly-fishing for over 20 years (small creek panfish), and I never knew how little I know.

Thanks all!

Normally with bass things happen quickly
    Clamp down on the line with your index finger of your rod hand, then bring the fish in by stripping in line with your line hand. Be prepared to give up a little slack when you need to.

To get a fish on the reel, you will need to follow the same procedure, but in addition, with the pinky of the rod hand, you need to hold and direct the slack line into the reel while you reel up.

With a fish that runs, hold the rod high while letting the line flow through an O that you make with the thumb and index finger of the line hand until you get to the point where you can reel

It helps if you have only amount of slack line off the reel that you need to make your cast

There you go, clear as mud
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread