+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line for SLT

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Default Line for SLT

what type of fly line would everyone suggest for a sage slt rod?

I am basicaly going to use this rod for eveything from nymphing to big dryflys(hoppers & droppers rigs ) to smallmouth bass with small streamers. It dosnt seem like their is any do all tapers for meduim fast rods, if this was a fast rod I would pick up a GPX or Grand fly line and be done but I think those lines would be to heavy for the slt. What do you all think?

Default Re: Line for SLT

I used a Rio Selective Trout WF on mine and it did everything ok.

After trying a couple different line's, I settled on the Orvis longbelly wonderline. For me it loaded the rod very well.

I am using the RIO nymph line. It feels and fishes great!

I have an SLT 590-4. I use the SA Trout. Tried the SA GPX for a while, but found for me the Trout to be better at presenting dries.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

This is probably only important or of interest to a few of you. One disagreeable characteristic of fly lines is creep, or recoil. This is the amount of 'recoiling' it does when you cast it out perfectly straight on calm water, such as a lake or pond. The warm line, laying on the colder water will create small wiggles in itself as it creeps back to the caster. This varies from line to line, as core and coating determine this problem. It IS a problem when you want to keep a reasonably direct line to your fly after having cast it out. If the line creeps a lot you have to constantly KEEP BRINGING IT IN TO KEEP IT TIGHT. This feature is not often considered by those claiming a certain line is good or bad,,, but should be. Even though you may not now be fishing calm water, it can be important even on an upstream cast on a slowly moving stream. Just something to look at the next time you say, "I really like,,,."

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    This is probably only important or of interest to a few of you. One disagreeable characteristic of fly lines is creep, or recoil. This is the amount of 'recoiling' it does when you cast it out perfectly straight on calm water, such as a lake or pond. The warm line, laying on the colder water will create small wiggles in itself as it creeps back to the caster. This varies from line to line, as core and coating determine this problem. It IS a problem when you want to keep a reasonably direct line to your fly after having cast it out. If the line creeps a lot you have to constantly KEEP BRINGING IT IN TO KEEP IT TIGHT. This feature is not often considered by those claiming a certain line is good or bad,,, but should be. Even though you may not now be fishing calm water, it can be important even on an upstream cast on a slowly moving stream. Just something to look at the next time you say, "I really like,,,."
    I did not know that. It's true, you do learn something new everyday. Thanks JC.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thanks for the suggestions, The rain finally lifted and the epoxy on the rod is hard enought to go out and test it so I did, I tried the 6wt nymph line on it and that line loaded the rod great, then I tried out the 5wt GPX line on and it wanted to load the road but it wasnt doing the job properly.

I wonder how the nymph line would present a dry fly?

"I wonder how the nymph line would present a dry fly?"

Not well...it's been awhile but right after I got my nymph line ...I geared up with it but when I got to the river found myself in a dry fly situation...it wasn't ideal.

I've been lawn casting a Dyna-tip on my SLT and like it fine but really haven't done comparisons.

thanks thats what I thought. No big deal I was expecting to buy a new line for this rod anyway so maby Ill get the trout taper then I will have a nymph line and a dry fly line

+ Reply to Thread