I think getting skunked is just something that goes with salt water fishing. There's a lot of water out there, and it's hard to find fish -- unless you're got a boat with electronics, and on a radio network that will tip you off how everybody else is doing. The guides on the Jersey shore cooperate over the radio to help them find fish. But if you're shore-bound, I think getting skunked is just part of your experience.

I met a guy at Sandy Hook last year. He said he was there every Friday, and about 1 out of 9 Fridays, it was great. It sucked the other Fridays. That day I was wearing myself out blind casting, and he was mostly walking around looking for baitfish. I did get two shorts that day, and I'm pretty sure he got skunked. He said he almost never did well unless he could see bait in the water.

I've found that the presence of Comorants is a good sign. The Comorants won't be fishing unless there's bait around. If a Comorant is fishing in an area, I can often pick up a fish there, even if it isn't exactly great fishing.