+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circle hooks...

Default Circle hooks...

I used to use them for live lining eels for strippers off cape cod. You just reel in, never set the hook.

When using them for flies, do you just set like normal? Or do you have to let the fish take longer and then lift slowly to set the hook?

I have a bunch left over and I want to use them for flies, but not sure how they will work.

Default Re: Circle hooks...

I havn't used them myself, But I read that You are not supposed to set the hook like normal because it will pull out of their mouths. Once you feel the tug, Let it go for a sec longer then usual then just slowly raise and fight, At least thats what I read.

Thats what I figured. Probably better for fish that inhale the whole fly like bass. Will take a little bit of disipline to switch, too.

OH YEA!!! Like switching from nymphs and dries, with a rod lift hook set, Then switching to streamers for hours, and having to strip strike, VERY hard to discipline.... You get it though after you miss a dozen fish in a row...

For surface fishing I wouldn't use the circle hooks, the wide gap hooks used as beetles, ants, hoppers etc do a great job on top for me fishing warm water Gills. Dr Fish might see this thread and give his view.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I?ve been using circle hooks in flies for many years now with very good success. I've lost count but I think I'm now over 70 species landed on flies tied on circles or circle hybrids. Let me start by saying that when tying on circle hooks it's VERY important that you use the right hooks. With a couple exceptions, circle hooks are designed for bait fishing and their long points and very narrow gaps hinder hooking fish properly with a fly. This is not to say that all bait circles are no good for fly-fishing as their a few good ones out there. Look for those with a wider gap, shorter point and lighter wire. The Mustad 39951BLN is a bait circle we offer that works well for fly-fishing. I know a few very good anglers who have done very well on these hooks fly-fishing for Tarpon and I've had good success using them on Striped Bass, Tarpon, Tuna and Dolphin. We also offer the 2 Signature Circle Streamer hooks (C51S BLN and the C71S SS) which I designed. These are a hybrid circle meaning they are a cross between a streamer hook (longer shank, shorter point) and a circle hook (point 90 degrees to the shank). These were specifically made for fly-fishing and have proven to work well.

When tying a fly on a circle hook keep in mind that it is critical that you do NOT close the gap of the hook with your fly. Maintain that gap opening and be sure that when finishing off the fly, the head does not interfere with the point sliding to where it needs to be (in the fish). If you are fishing for toothy fish (like Pike) you need to be mindful that bulky patterns, especially those with natural materials like rabbit fur and skin will not slide on the hook set and the rod will load up and finally under great pressure the fly will come shooting out of the fishes mouth without driving the hook home. Materials that will not tangle in teeth are a must here.

When fishing the fly I simply treat it like any other fly. If I get a strike, I strip-strike and then lift up and load the rod. There are very few fish that will simply swim along with the fly in their mouth and turn for you so you can stick them. Most will realize their foraging error and spit the fly quickly.

Using the right hooks, being mindful not to close that gap and strip-striking the fish when they eat it will help you to hook plenty of fish on circles and more importantly, LAND more fish. That is the beauty of the circle fly hooks and the reason I designed one. They hold a fish like a pair of ViseGrips once hooked up. Picture that 20lb dime bright Steelhead screaming down river toward that blown down tree and you knowing if they get there you are in trouble. With a circle you can release the drag and slack line the fish and they will often slow and turn around. If they get into the snag you can still slack line them and get in there and pass the rod through the snag (if possible) and the slack will not cause the hook to come out (99% of the time).

From Yellowfin Tuna to Steelhead to Atlantic Salmon to Cutthroat to Brookie's to Smallmouth Bass to Peacock Bass and so on and so on, they have performed very well for me over the years

Thank you for the in-depth anser Dr fish.

The hooks I have are very large mustads, probably only good for stripper and bluefish flies. But I think I'll try some of those signatures out this salmon season.

I have been experimenting with the C51S BLN for warm water fishing and I am really impressed. Just use a strip strike. Lm Bass Catfish Crappie. It has really helped my bite to land ratio on the bass

Good to hear okflyfisher

What model number Mustad's do you have Flyrodde?

Another great thing about using circles is when fishing for Steelhead and Salmon in areas with large concentrations of fish, you almost completely eliminate any foul hooking of fish as your fly swings through a pool full of fish. While fishing for Summer Run Steelhead on the Stamp in BC we are often swinging flies through large groups of Chinook and the Steelhead are sitting below and behind them. It was near impossible not to foul the salmon on the swing until we switched to the circles (or tied a fly on a standard hook as sort of a bent back to protect the point.

I like circle style hooks for fishing in the surf.
    The surf does a number on your hook point. Your fly gets dragged through the sand more than you would care to think about.
    Regular shaped hooks need to be sharpened religiously throughout the day.
    Pretty much anytime your fly's not in the water, you're sharpening the hook.
    Stainless hooks won't even hold an edge at all after a while
    But by using circle hooks, you can keep the hook point out of the sand
    Being too cheap to buy special hooks just for this purpose, I bend my own from 3407s (sorry Fish )
    Works for me
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread