I fish for them here in Ga. They hit Puglisi-Style streamers, especially in Bluegill colors, with vicious abandon. They are delicious to eat as well. If they are going to be here, then so be it. I am adaptable.

So far here in Ga. they seem to be limited to the Chattahootche River just below Atlanta, but they will most likely spread. I keep reporting them to DNR, but their biologists (who have only been out to collect once, and did not do it correctly to catch snakeheads) insist they are bowfin. I am a biologist myself and am well aware of the differences, but oh, well. One day I will freeze one and hand deliver it to their office.

I personally think that, at least here in Ga., that the ecosystem can adapt to include these fish, creating a great fishery. I think they will do less harm than the introduction of carp did.

I am waiting to see Bighead carp in Ga. I'd love to just put on my motorcycle helmet, cruise around and let these fish just jump in my boat. Full-Contact fishing....YAAAAHHHOOOO!

The environment is a bit tougher than most people give it credit for. There is a period of adjustment, but in the long run, everything balances back out. Our ecosystems have survived the introduction of carp, Rainbow trout in the East, freshwater stripers, Brown trout, nutria, japanese beetles, killer bees, mimosa trees, kudzu, and much more. Each has found a niche and the system has adapted to accomodate it. Industrial concerns like paper mills, etc... do much more harm to the environment than introduced species ever will.

I wouldn't want to see these snakeheads in a trout stream, but since their habitat preferences are different than trouts, that most likely won't happen, and bass and bluegill are prolific, tough, and can take care of themselves. And hardly anything, including commercial fishing, has much of an impact on crappie populations. The way they breed, they are like roaches with fins. The only thing that effects crappie is a lack of baitfish to eat, and there might be the problem. If snakehaeds became numerous enough to have a significant effect on baitfish popuilations, then we'd have a problem. I imagine, though, that young snakeheads would be just as much at risk of being eaten by bass, crappie and stripers as any other baitfish, so it would probably even out.

At any rate, if they are in your area, I see no reason not to harvest and eat them. They are fine tablefare.

Semper Fi!