+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: epoxy which kind/brand do you use

Default epoxy which kind/brand do you use

I was wanting some info on epoxy. What kind do you prefer? Where do you get it? Have used some epoxy from walmart but was trying to see what you all have experimented with and recommend.

Thanks,
    Gary

Normand Guest

Default Re: epoxy which kind/brand do you use

devcon is a good brand

Crash - Im just started doing epoxy and have been using the stuff from Wally Mart . It seems to be a little cloudy...not the clearest.

Crash,

I use the Devcon 5 minute epoxy in separate tubes (not the plunger one). It's easier to get equal amounts of A and B, which is crucial to get a good set up.... and also avoid cloudiness. JRA, maybe that could be the problem?

I save up empty jar lids to mix it, putting the same size dots of the A and B next to each other, then mix them together with a toothpick. I usually tie up a bunch of flies first, and then do the epoxy as the last step on all of them at once and put them on a wheel.
    Multiple light coats, with time to dry in between is much better than one goopy thick coat.
    Over time the epoxy might yellow a little in reaction to sunlight, but if you keep them in a dark fly box you should be fine for a year or two... but even if it happens it doesn't seem to turn off fish anyway.

Lot's of folks like Bob Popovic are going towards the Tuffleye acrylic resin stuff which requires a special blue light, but eliminates fumes, mixing and the yellowing. I haven't tried it yet, but you can get more info on tying with it through google and here:

http://www.wetahook.net/

Good luck.

peregrines

peregrines

JRA,
    Cloudy usually means you are not mixing it long enough. Make sure your epoxy is waterproof also.
    I cheat and just use Sally Hansens on the small stuff.

Crash,
    I've quit using epoxy and now I use UV Knot Sense mostly. Sometimes Loon's Hard Head and sometimes Softex depending on the situation, but mostly Knot Sense.
    Joe

Like peregrines I stay away from the stuff in the double syringe. More trouble than it's worth.
    I'm also tired of my flies yellowing after one season and turning brown after a couple of more.
    Besides using a non-porous tool for mixing and application, the solution is to use a slower curing epoxy
    The slower the curing time, the longer it takes for the epoxy to yellow
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Flexcoat Lite.

Devcon 2-ton (30 min epoxy). The longer it takes to cure, the longer it takes to yellow. Also, if you keep the flies out of direct sunlight during storage the epoxy will stay clear longer. As far as the double syringes go, separate them with a pair of heavy duty scissors. With two separate syringes it is quite easy to get equal amounts of epoxy and accelerator.

Sally Hansons is a great head cement but does not replace epoxy for some patterns such as surf candies, etc. I have no experience with the UV knot sense however the epoxy is very inexpensive.

Regards,
    Keith

I don't have any problems with the double syringe epoxy, I use 5 minutes stuff.

I dont tie many epoxy flies, So it doesn't matter to much to me.

+ Reply to Thread