+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage SLT dropped...what takes it's place?

Default Sage SLT dropped...what takes it's place?

Wondering if anyone knows if Sage is planning on making a rod to fill the gap left by the SLT's departure? I'm thinking of grabbing an SLT while they're still around, the prices are looking better than ever. I've used a 383-4 and found it to be an amazing rod...any other SLT fans out there? What model do you have, and what are it's strengths/weaknesses. (if any)

Cheers,
    TZB

Default Re: Sage SLT dropped...what takes it's place?

Sage is replacing the SLT line with, I think they call it, the ZLT. It is based on the technology gained from the Z-Axis.

I have the 590-4. It is a great rod that has a very smooth casting stroke that I like when the winds are not to strong. I am curious how the ZLT will be in comparison. I have an XP and Z-Axis and I like the slightly softer action the Z-Axis has over the XP, though the XP is still my favorite rod.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I'm definitely an SLT fan. I was disappointed to hear that they are dropping the line. I don't like overly stiff rods and the SLT fits me perfect. I have the 2 piece 8.5 ft 5 wt. For me it's about as close to perfect as an all around trout rod can be. Such a smooth casting rod. I haven't really found any weaknesses? It is very capable of casting both tiny dries and also indicator/nymph rigs. It doesn't have quite the distance punch of a stiffer rod - but it is still pretty capable in that regard.

I wish I could purchase another SLT of another wt but my wife would kill me.

Greg

Then again,,, you might check the sponsors page. Or, just follow the link about them from the main page. Here is a link to it. Click on the reel case. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

The Sage rep came through the shop last week. Got to cast the new rods, while I have never really been a fan of light trout rods (just don't have any use locally) I really like the way they cast. They have a very nice crisp action, and seem to have a much nicer tip than the SLT. If you liked the old Sage LL you wil LOVE this rod.

Tried the new ZLT 4 wt. If I needed another rod, this one would be it.

Got a really tempting offer for a 3wt, 7 1/2 ft, 4 pc SLT for about $400 new. I was looking at the TFO Finesse but this came in and I'm trying to justify getting another Sage in spite of my recent Winston BIIX purchase. "...Fortune favors those who are prepared..." Life is just so unfair...

Racine, I got a similar offer on the same rod from my local shop. Last year, on my search for the "ultimate" small-stream 3wt, the 7' 6" SLT was my clear favorite. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it due to the price. Now I'm really thinking hard about it.

Do it. If nothing else I could live vicariously through you.

I too vote for the SLT, we each had one and happily extolled their virtues. They are gone now and we used the Z-Axis last year. Fine rods to be sure and in some ways even improved. Now they have expanded that line but also mixed the Z-Axis technology with the XLT (basically) and produced the new Z-XL. This is a fine casting tool as well. Different strokes for different folks. We all seem to want something that suits us more individually.

+ Reply to Thread