+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SA Lines Question Which would you choose?

Default Re: SA Lines Question Which would you choose?

RW thanks,
    I'm using the Rio Classic WF 5wt on my 9' Scott G2 right now and have liked that line well enough. I've heard so much about the SA lines, I wanted to give them a shot on the new rod. I may end up sticking with the Rio, just don't know yet. So many decisions and so little time to fish.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Gramps is right and SA is dead wrong about DT line reversal. Just dumb not to add that loop, especially since it's the best in the business, right now. Much easier through the guides than Rio or Airflo loops.

I just flipped my DT line the other day, Hard to believe that people dont reverse them!! Maybe to lazy, Maybe they dont know.

Re the SA position that they don't put welded loops on both ends because guys don't reverse their DTs: My DT4F GPX has loops on both ends. So, they must mean guys who don't use GPX lines. Love that corporatethink!

I have to believe that someone connected to SA reads this stuff. Would be useful to have a response.

I have no idea what you are saying or asking?

My answer to the original post is first off, I would go with the BBS instead of the Mid Arbor. It is a little lighter weight and allowes more backing (of course that will increase the weight, but I think it is still lighter than the Mid)
    My 3wt. is a Shelbyville which has real small guides like a bamboo, so I prefer the Orvis Superfine (which only comes in WF and made by SA to Orvis specs) on that rod cause it is a thinner diameter line. SYLK works real well also. This rod likes ALL lines: WF, DT, and TT. I think it is very important you find out, which ever rod you choose, what line it likes.
    I am not a big fan of DT, but, that doesn't mean I don't use it. It has it's place.
    As far as loops on the end of lines, I still go with making my own. It is so easy, plus you can make them as small as you want.

Jeff,
    FWIW, another opinion.

I'd go with the SA WF. I like the SA lines over the Rio's because of the extra slippery coating that helps me shoot line better. Even for short trout distances. I have both.
    The Rio is very supple but that wouldn't persuade me to go Rio over the SA's.

I have a friend who uses the DT lines all the time. He cuts them in half and allows for extra backing. In effect he has two lines then...I still don't know why I haven't followed his example!! I hate to admit that publicly...*G*

I don't care about loops because I don't use them except on my warmwater lines.

Whatever your choice, they're all pretty darn good lines.

Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Jeff,
    FWIW, another opinion.

I'd go with the SA WF. I like the SA lines over the Rio's because of the extra slippery coating that helps me shoot line better. Even for short trout distances. I have both.

I have a friend who uses the DT lines all the time. He cuts them in half and allows for extra backing. In effect he has two lines then...I still don't know why I haven't followed his example!! I hate to admit that publicly...*G*

Jeremy.

I had coffee with a gentleman from back east that does that and swears by it. I just didn't get it till I met Dec, and I got to play with a spey rod. That is exactly what that line was. Weeeeerd feeling casting backing
    But it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Jeff,
    FWIW, another opinion.

Jeremy.

I had coffee with a gentleman from back east that does that and swears by it. I just didn't get it till I met Dec, and I got to play with a spey rod. That is exactly what that line was. Weeeeerd feeling casting backing
    But it works!
    I know whatcha mean, I used a heavy shooting head, tied to backing once on my 6 weight in the backyard. Distance casting......WOWWWW did that sucker ever SHOOTTT as long as there was no coils to get caught up! It made an awesome sound when backing is shooting through the guides....vwooooosh!

The 'game' the distance boy's play is listening to the 'machine-gun' sound of the albright knot going through the guides when casting a regular 90 foot line. Score is sometimes kept by measuring the amount of backing hanging out of "the end of the barrel". The most I ever measured was 27 feet. NO! It was not mine, but he was using my rod.

+ Reply to Thread