+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SA Lines Question Which would you choose?

Default SA Lines Question Which would you choose?

Which would you choose in a 3 weight line?

I'm thinking on getting a 7'6" Winston BIIt in 3 wt (or the Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 7'6" 3 wt) for my birthday. I'm leaning heavily to the Winston after casting both, but the Orvis has some nice qualities as well. I thought the Winston casted just a little better for me in the up close range (under 20 feet) which is the kind of water I'll be fishing this rod.

OK, rod, reel (Orvis Battenkill BBS II or Battenkill Mid-Abor) seems to be the one I liked the best.

Now for line:
    Scientific Anglers
    GPX DT 3 wt.
    -or-
    XPX DT 3wt
    -or-
    Mastery DT 3wt

I'm leaning to DT vs. the WF as I'm making a lot of short presentations in bushy streams with this rod.

Also, the Rio Classic DT

So, which line would you pick?

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Default Re: SA Lines Question Which would you choose?

I'm leaning to DT vs. the WF as I'm making a lot of short presentations in bushy streams with this rod.
    The next time you are in a fly shop look at the taper graph on the back of the SA fly boxes. The first 28 or 30 feet of the line for both WF and DT will be identical for SA within a brand/wt. So DT will have no advantage/disadvantage at short distances.

RoyC

Blog Entries

my 3WT 7'6" Winston is my everyday rod for exactly the reasons you mention: lots of small water fishing in very treesy streams. i put a DT line on it on the advice of my fly shop. when the line got beat up after a couple years from so much successful fishing, i went back and the shop reversed the line. wow! new line feel and action, for free!

it's my understanding that the actual weight of the lines is most of the difference between them. heavier line=easier casting seems to be one theory. if you're after fish close up, you're not going to want to go too heavy, nor do you want to overweight your light rod and ignore the reasons for getting it in the first place.

if the fly shop has a way for you to try the different lines on the new rod, maybe on some sample reels, take the time because they do feel different. the shop folk may also know anecdotally which line takes most advantage of the characteristics of the rod.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Jeff,

I fish a Rio Selective Trout DT on my 3wt. It's on a BBS II spool. If you get the rod and the reel and want to try it when we're fishing over at Brookville sometime you'd certainly be welcome.

I know that doesn't help with your decision but it would give you another option. I wouldn't worry about getting a mid-arbor for a 3wt rod. At least not for the advantage of faster line pick-up. I am a big fan of the BBS II reel. I use that reel with 5wt line on the spool when I fish at BV (and most other places I use the 5wt). It?s a really nice light weight reel and I like it a bunch!

It's a nice light reel with a good drag. I think you'd like it. Anyway, good luck with the decision. I hope I didn't muddy the water too much.
    Joe Bertolini

Quote Originally Posted by RoyC
    The next time you are in a fly shop look at the taper graph on the back of the SA fly boxes. The first 28 or 30 feet of the line for both WF and DT will be identical for SA within a brand/wt. So DT will have no advantage/disadvantage at short distances. RoyC
    Actually there IS a difference with the Sci Anglers XPS and Trout tapers. On both the XPS and Trout lines; the DT front taper is shorter than the WF front taper. This in effect will help the DT to load the rod faster with less line out. The Mastery Trout has the shortest front taper of the Sci Anglers lines.

Jeff:

As far as a line for the BIIx; I suggest you post the question on the Winston Forum which I THINK is not working at the moment. There are lots of posters there who love the BIIx and I'm sure could give you some recommendations.

http://www.winstonrods.com/intro.html

Don't even consider the GPX. It's a half line heavier and made for fast rods. If it were my rod i'd get the Winston and use the Rio Selective trout in a WF, because I like the welded loop it comes with. The DT won't have the loop. I find the Rio line floats well too.

The Winston forum will agree that the Rio ST will go well with that rod.

Watch for SA,,, new line coming out. (I have one,,, dynamite!) I would go for the WF. The DT takes up more room on a reel, leaving less room for backing. No, your dealer doesn't know about it yet.
    Yes, it is a WF6F; I will have it with me at the 'Fish-In' in Idaho.
    Word for the week; 'microreplication.' Get used to it...
    It will be 'unveiled' at the big show in Denver.
    (more tomorrow)...

Mr. InTheKnow,

How about a sneak peek?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

I would get the wf for the BIIT, the rod loads great with just alittle line out anyway but has the reserver power to cast some line out there. I think on longer cast that your might have to make the dt would overload the rod. I think the Wf not the Dt will compliment the rod the best. Also Winston even recomends using a wf line on the rod. No for types of lines GPX no, its made for fast action rods. Get yourself a SA gxp, SA Trout tapers or a rio selective trout line.

Blog Entries

I prefer the XPS DT lines over any other line I have ever used, in light weights. DTs are nice in that, when you wear out one end, you can turn it around and use the other end, getting two lines for the price of one. And I have yet to see backing on a 3wt, so I don't worry about it too much.

I've never had a Rio line I liked.

My $.02

Dennis

+ Reply to Thread