I tried it this past weekend and now my analyst says I may be able to live a normal life despite post traumatic stress disorder if I will just put it behind me. I just want to try and fix his casting problems first. He's quite athletic and casts accurately with a spin-cast outfit. He did quite well while I stood by his side and kept repeating "not so far back", "slower" "stop sooner in front" etc. with the occasional "good, do it that way again". As soon as I turned away he was bringing the rod parallel to the ground on the backcast and going forward well before the loop had formed on the back on those occasions when he did stop. His grandparents won't let me beat him with the rod and I'm out of other ideas. I told him to practice the way I showed him and let it go at that. I know he had some difficulty stopping the heavy glass rod he had found but I think mostly he just kept trying to use his spin-cast skills inappropriately. When I left he hadn't caught a fish on the flyrod yet but he was still trying as I pulled out to drive home. I'll probably see him again in a couple of weeks. Maybe he'll have forgotten about the fly rod ( he does that sort of thing) but if not does any one have any ideas on how to get through to him?