+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alec Jackson Salmon/Steelhead hooks - Blue or nickel in colo

Default Alec Jackson Salmon/Steelhead hooks - Blue or nickel in colo

Hi there,

Has anyone used these blue or nickle colored Alec Jackson hooks? I have gold and black and like tying and fishing them. What colour of blue is it? I am assuming a navy color, the pictures on the screen are hard to tell. Also, what are some patterns that you put on these colors the make them effective?

Thanks,

Dwight

Default Re: Alec Jackson Salmon/Steelhead hooks - Blue or nickel in colo

What an interesting comment; "Nickle Hooks keep Floss bright when wet." I have never heard that before but it makes sense!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Hi DShock,

A trick to do the same thing after you've laid down your base of black thread (say to tie in a tail, rib, etc) is to tie in some flat tinsel, wrap your thread forward, then lay a layer of silver tinsel, then wrap your floss over top. It does bulk up the body, so this is usually ok for streamers but not spiders. If you spiral the tinsel, leaving gaps, or tie a strip of tinsel and lay it along the top (or bottom) of the shank, then wrap the floss, you can get some subtle changes in colour. Overwrap some brightly coloured tinsel with a thin layer of white floss can look good too.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Thanks Jeff! Another thing I just thought of was that Floss Color darkens when it gets wet, so the underbody is a great idea to retain the original color!
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

you can also put a bright thread under and wrap the body with a pearl braid and when wet it will turn the color of the thread. besides there was a study done on hook color ( i forget the author) and the least visible hook color under all conditions was gold followed by silver or nickle them bronze and black being the most visible hope this helps
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

I am assuming that when you mean "conditions" it is what ever you have on it for body, correct?

This brings up a good discussion, does hook color attract or put off a fish. My experience that with trout the extra flash of silver or gold brings them in, Atlantic salmon, not so sure .

Dwight

oh yeah, if I want a brilliant body I will do an underbody of flat silver tinsel, just one layer so as to not add too much bulk. I have also done the floss and pull the pearl mylar over it, interesting effect, so far not much luck in the fish catching with them but most interesting.

Dwight

+ Reply to Thread