+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loomis Rod Question

Default Loomis Rod Question

I have a 9' 6wt Loomis GL4 rod which I really like. Loomis no longer lists this model and I am wondering which of their current rods would be most like the GL4. I am looking to purchase one in a 4wt.

kirk

Working from a memory clouded by years of alcohol abuse I seem to recall the GL4 and the GLX had the same taper but made from different types of graphite.
    The GL4 cost nearly as much as the GLX but the GLX was lighter. Folks that could afford the GL4 could also afford the GLX so the GL4 went away.

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 01 July 2005).]

Buzzer is right GL4 was a dolled up GL3 on the GLX mandrils this made a rod that was Mod-fast instead of lighting fast like the GLX and IMX. This was Gary's first "pretty Rod" . We got a fair number of complaints about the rods build by Loomis that they were very plain to the eyes. GL3 flat black, GLX and IMX no finish at all. GL4 was A deep green.(we got some heat from Winston on that note)

Rich

Cool. Thanks for the information.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Rich,
    Re: "This was Gary's first "pretty Rod" .

What about the G.Loomis IM6 series of rods with their high gloss burgundy blanks, gold reel seats and graphics, wood inserts etc, not to mention their bronze tone rod tubes with gold graphics and fittings? They predate the GL4.

Another example of beauty, or in this case "pretty", being in the eye of the beholder?

Best, Dave

Yes the IM6 was a (pretty rod) it was discontinued for preformance reasons and Gary went to rods with out finish for preformance reasons. At that time the rage was a rod that you used fire retardent instead of fly floatant. The finish on a rod subtracts about a half of a line weight from the rod.(any weight added to the blank past the cork is subtracted from the line) But I do stand corectted as IM6 was pretty making GL4 #2 in pretty rods.

Rich

My GL-4's looked exactly like the old GLX's, right down to the reel seat. The main difference I noticed cosmetically was a dull, dark green blank. I reckon pretty is in the eye of the beholder! <G>
    I always thought the Trilogy was their first attempt at pretty.
    Functionally, as was already stated, they acted like a heavy, slightly slower GLX.

[This message has been edited by Jackster (edited 02 July 2005).]

I also had an IM6 from the early 90's. It was gorgeous--deep burgundy with walnut and black reel seat. I always thought Loomis rods started out prettier and got uglier over time, starting with the GLX but then I didn't pay real close attention the whole time.

+ Reply to Thread