Quote Originally Posted by starfish
Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Smith
Since you will be staying near Little Lagoon I would start there.
Duncan
Duncan,

Have you fished the waterway that connects Little Lagoon with Shelby Lakes in the State Park? I was looking at the satellite image and it looks to be perfect for a Kayak and impassible by large shipping traffic.

Jeff
No, I actually do all of my Kayak fishing in Fla at "Big Lagoon" in the grass flats although my place is just west of Shelby lake. I started fishing that area because I was told a couple of years ago that was my best chance at catching trout and redfish. I have always returned there just because I like the area. It is a Federal park so is secure, I already have a Fla. license, and I buy an annual pass to the park. I keep saying I am going to try Little lagoon and Lake Shelby, but I keep returning to the familar.

There is a weir dam bridge where the hwy goes through the park that seperates Lake Shelby from the wetland area of Little Lagoon.. I see lots of folks fishing in the upstream side of the bridge so that might be a good place to put in and paddle to Lake Shelby. There are two more ponds above Lake Shelby but they are not easily accesible by road. All of the channels in that area look very fishy, I have just never fished them. If you try them, let me know how they are, I suspect they will be good.

There is another place I have heard a lot about that has lots of big reds. It's name is Dixie Bar and it is all the way at the end of Fort Morgan rd past the old fort. I don't know the exact loation or any more about it, except it has a great reputation.

BTW, a couple of months ago I ran into Jim Meador, the Native Kayak rep and the guy you see in the ads standing in the boat with a fly rod, and the owner of Native and its parent company, whose name I can't remember, in big Lagoon testing kayaks and other boats. Mr Meador lives in Point Clear, AL.

Duncan