Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Smith
Since you will be staying near Little Lagoon I would start there. There is a bridge on Beach Blvd where Little Lagoon is connected to the Gulf. That area is good on a moving tide. Fish the side the tide is flowing to, sort of like fishing a plunge pool on a stream. Fish the docks around the lagoon, especially at night or late evening for trout. Fish the beachs early and late for Ladyfish, I like the beach and jetty on the East side of Perdido Pass. At the jetty, fish the down side of the tide, it is very strong and large trout and redfish ambush bait fish, shrimp and crabs as they are swept across the jetty. There are a couple of spots in the public beach area that hold Ladyfish, bluefish, and maybe some pompano. Be very careful on the beach of curious onlookers, several time I have discovered people directly behind me about 30 feet watching me cast, of course I have been whizzing big Clousers over their heads. If you go to that area you can park either under the bridge or there is a public beach about 1/2 mile past the bridge.

Ladyfish are the perfect fish for flyfishing. They have a strong strike, can get you down to the backing very fast, and many times all you have to do is release pressure and give a little flick of the line and they can release themselves. They look like Tarpon, only 20 inches long.

There is a new Fly Shop at "The Wharf" I don't remember the name but it is located in a house by the docks, they mey be able to give you some advice but they are VERY pricey.

Good Luck and let me know how you do.

Duncan

Thanks for all the great info Duncan. Last year I was in Destin, and was fortunate to be taken out on a skiff at night with Capt. Paul Darby who put me on some ladyfish. I LOVE catching them!!! Actually on the TN river here, we have skipjack herring, which look a lot like a ladyfish - we call them Tennessee Tarpon. They grow to about 20" but average 15" here. They fight hard, but nothing like a ladyfish.

Thanks for the heads up on watching my back cast - I ran into that in Destin last year as well.

Starfish (Jeff)