+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My FISH broke off...now what?

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Default My FISH broke off...now what?

Hey folks...

I had a really good fish break off with a small nymph in his lip with some of my tippet attached and that got me thinking about something that I'm betting this esteemed group might be able to address.

Assuming that we're only talking freshwater - how long does a hook stay in a fish's mouth before it rusts/wears/falls out?

I've always heard that it usually "removes" itself after a "couple of days"...but really, what does THAT mean? A week? A month? And does it fall out or rust out? If it's rust, then I'm GUESSING that it's probably a lot longer than a month.

Any thoughts out there? Any anecdotal stories or empirical research that anyone has found on this?

Thanks!

Jim
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Default Re: My FISH broke off...now what?

Here's an article that discusses the issue, even though it isn't fly fishing based. Fly hooks are smaller but I doubt they will come out any sooner.

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/manns ... _out.shtml
    Your hooks sharp????

I can't recall ever catching a fish with a lure hanging out of it's mouth.

Well, I did catch a bluegill twice in the same day once that had my hook from earlier in the day stuck in it. I got both hooks on the second time I caught him.

So, once out of thousands of fish I've caught one with a hook in it.

My guess is they do not say in that long before they shake them lose. (unless it's way deep and they swallow it in which case, the fish probably dies in a day or two anyway)

Read the article after posting. I think there are two questions here. One is the "swallowed the hook" and one is the "hooked in the lip but broke the line" questions.

I was with Jim and saw the fish that broke his line (how many times is a fisherman lucky enough to have a witness to the one that got away?) and I doubt if that fish swallowed the lure. I would be willing to bet it was hooked in the jaw or lip.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Hi,

I once caught a trout at the mouth of the Waiteti stream and as I was fighting it, I thought "Darn, I've foul hooked this one!" I was quite pleased to notice that when I finally landed it, I saw the line and hook in it's mouth. As I reached to remove the hook, I realised the hook wasn't mine, but it was a bait hook. The line looked like it was a dropper cut off of a long line. I then found my hook caught in the side of this one. I removed both hooks and figured this fish was having a pretty bad day of it and sent it back on it's way.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

I have seldom throut hooked a trout. The only exception to that is fishing with a fly tied on a # 32 hook. It seems that even trout have a hard time detecting that the fly is artificial. Bass are a different story and are such hogs as to throat hook themselves all the time.

The link above was interesting and ran contrary to what I've heard my whole life. I too always heard that the fish would expel the hook after a few days.

I wonder if barbless hooks increase the rate of survival?

Scott

Deezel Guest

Jim,

I've heard the same general information. Here's an idea: Send the feds an application for a grant, say $500,000 to study the phenomena for a year. You'll have to build a fresh water water tank of some sort, go fishing, keep some trout, label each for identification purposes, hook each one with a hook, observe each trout and chart the progress or rather egress of the hook. Of course you'll have to study if species of trout from different rivers vary from each other. Therefore, you'll have to travel to different geographic areas. Make sure to build that into your grant budget. While you're at it, make sure you have the proper equipment, nothing short of top-of-the-line. We can't let our tax dollars be spent on anything less.
    Good luck and report back when the results are published or give us a sneak peek.

Deezel

Deezel,

Do I detect sarcasm in your tone of voice?

If the grant works out for him, I want to be hired as an assistant

Scott

The first Lake Erie Steelhead I ever caught looked like the trout version of "Moby Dick". The only thing missing was Ahab himself lashed to the side with one arm pointing to the sky. It was a spring fish caught in Elk Creek, PA. The fish had been in the river awhile (very dark colored male, no silver left in him at all). Tough to say how long he'd been in from the lake but it was awhile. I wasn't the first fly fisherman he had tangled with. He had seventeen different flies hooked to him in various locations. Including three in and around the mouth and jaw, (including my wooly bugger) and fourteen other flies in pecks, dorsal, adipose, tail, belly and other various and assorted locations.

All but one of the flies was decomposed beyond use. How long does a hook stay in? Not sure, but it looks like it was possible that some were there several weeks. The good news was the fish didn't see to show any adverse effects but I'm not sure my observations constitute empirical proof.
    Joe Bertolini

I grew up thinking a couple of days meant 2 days.

I'm just saying.

nighthawk Guest

If you are going to spin fish or bait cast then use circle hooks. If you don't use circle hooks then mash down the barbs. This will allow you to easily remove a swallowed hook with a cheap hook disgorger. It boils down to this; pay attention to your line and set the hook on the first strike! You will loose a few more fish but more of the fish you release will survive.

Back to fly fishing. I mash down the barbs on all of my flies. The very nature of our sport requires us to pay very close attention to our line thus allowing us to detect even the lightest strike. I think that is why we kill fewer fish. It allows us to set the hook into the jaw somewhere and does not allow the fish time to swallow the fly. I have caught plenty of bass on the fly rod. Never had one swallow a fly but that is not to say it doesn't happen. Just hasn't happened to me yet.

I have had blue gills swallow the fly and was able to release them, unharmed, thanks to mashing down the barbs on my hooks.

+ Reply to Thread