+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 40 Year Old Can Fly Rod

1. Default 40 Year Old Can Fly Rod

I inherited a can fly rod from my father. I recently pulled it out of it's case. It is at least 40 years old. It is an 8' can fly rod It has a couple of things on it "USLAN INC" and "Angler's Roost - Jamie" 4 oz. It seems like a nice rod. Does anyone know anything about this rod? Any one know approximately what the value would be of such a rod? It has a lot of sentimental value to me

Default Re: 40 Year Old Can Fly Rod

Welcome to the board pietrob, I've seen the 'Uslan' name before in relation to cane fly rods and though I don't know a whole lot about cane, I know that when the knowledgeable cane guys check your post, you're going to hear some encouraging answers to your questions. Also check out http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fish ... /id21.html

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

3. Default Re: 40 Year Old Can Fly Rod

This is an excellent start. I am excited to just go out and use the rod. I just retired from Hewlett Packard and took a 12 day trip to New Hampshire where I fished as a boy. I am just getting back out there but what a wonderful experience lots of memories and lots to learn

Well it sounds like you're in a great new time in your life for a lot of fly fishing pietrob...oh, on using the Nat Uslan cane rod, (you could google that phrase) you prolly know this, but be certain not to put it away wet. Just a thought ! Now where are those cane experts that know all about the Uslan era cane rods?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Nat Uslan made 5 sided bamboo rods and had gone into business shortly after world war II. He and his business partners went out of business sometime in the 50's because of the China embargo and because of fiberglass rods making it onto the market. He and his son went back into the business in the 1970's producing glass and bamboo rods.

Uslan rods are collectable. You will see them occasionally on eBay.

There's several factors that will dictate the value of your rod. If you want a pretty good estimation of value, I would post your question along with pictures at Clarks Classic Rod forum.

Is your rod a 2 or 3 piece?

OOPS...I just looked at the link above...guess I didn't add much of anything new!

Scott

6. Default Re: 40 Year Old Can Fly Rod

My rod is three pieces with an extra tip. Excellent suggestion about posting on Clark's

Nat Uslan did not make any 3 piece rods in the 70's. So that would date your rod back to his earlier days after WW II when he made both 2 and 3 piece rods.

Scott

+ Reply to Thread