+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Paypal Fees to Cost of Items for Sale

Default Adding Paypal Fees to Cost of Items for Sale

It's a pet peeve I admit, but it gripes me when sellers on this board and elsewhere expect potential buyers to add a certain percentage to cover the seller's Paypal fees. Doing so is clearly a violation of Paypal policy. Some sellers try this unethical ploy even when stating they prefer to use Paypal. My advice is to ignore these sellers completely. If they'll openly violate Paypal policy, how can you trust them at all?

Sheesh... rant over.

Will

Default Re: Adding Paypal Fees to Cost of Items for Sale

Will,
    Personally, I have never run into that. There should never be an "add-on" after the sale. I would contact Ebay & PayPal & void the sale...clearly not the advertised price.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I believe the add on is added up front ...at least the one's I've seen...and I'm assuming, Will, that's what you are referring to....and it's against policy?

It is discrimination. It would be the same as going to a store and being told the price is more if you are paying with a credit or debit card.

The seller pays a fee to make sure they get payment, and to promote sales because payment is easier for the buyer.

This is a wrong and unethical business practice and all sellers that even try to do it should not be dealt with.

This is just my 2 cents.

As a seller I think paypal charges too much sometimes.

"It would be the same as going to a store and being told the price is more if you are paying with a credit or debit card."
    I've had that happen to me too

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    "It would be the same as going to a store and being told the price is more if you are paying with a credit or debit card."
    I've had that happen to me too
    Ive had that happen to me as well ...usually the store will say sorry ten dollar minimum. The thing is the credit card companies charge the store for each purchase even thought they make a killing on the % and late charges.go figure
    If a seller is upfront in the auction about the charge "fine" oh course ill go to another seller but to surprise a buyer with thats is wrong.

Even though it is an accepted practice, minimums can not be enforced. If you only have a CC to pay with, the establishment must take your payment if they take that form of payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrodde
    Even though it is an accepted practice, minimums can not be enforced. If you only have a CC to pay with, the establishment must take your payment if they take that form of payment.
    Didn't know that...thanks...

I'll keep this going....just got through a few minutes ago making two separate purchases through PayPal....very very smooth and efficient....now the sellers know they're ok.... and I'll get my stuff in a timely fashion...

However if there had been a surcharge ...no matter how good the deal...I wouldn't have done it....

As a seller my fees are included in the shipping and handling charge. Nothing unethical or illegial about it and I make sure it is posted on the item I am selling. There are those who add the fees after you purchase the item. They usuall do not have a good feedback record and I would never deal with them anyway. Just my .02 cents

+ Reply to Thread