+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Sage smallmouth and Bass rods

Default Re: New Sage smallmouth and Bass rods

I doubt if you'll see any of the cast for cash bass anglers pulling out a fly rod in competition.

Again, if I were king of Sage, I would offer their smallmouth rod in either a 6,7 or 8wt. A 7'11" 6wt would be an ideal rod for the smallmouth river that I fish. Now I realize you are talking niche market, but try and find an 8' 6wt today.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave
    I doubt if you'll see any of the cast for cash bass anglers pulling out a fly rod in competition.

Again, if I were king of Sage, I would offer their smallmouth rod in either a 6,7 or 8wt. A 7'11" 6wt would be an ideal rod for the smallmouth river that I fish. Now I realize you are talking niche market, but try and find an 8' 6wt today.
    Dave,

Dorber makes several 8' 6wts, if you're in the market for one.

It'll be interesting to see if Sage's new rod makes it to a bass tourney. Some of the BASS pro's are good with a fly rod (Roland Martin and Shaw Grigsby, for example.) That doesn't mean they'd use one in a tournament, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Micropteris
    Hey Bear,

Would it really be any different than casting tournaments or fly fishing tournaments that are alreay out there?
    All I know is what I read. It's different all right.

Our guys go overseas to the World Fly Fishing Championship competitions to compete for prizes that won't even cover their traveling expenses. In the States, top prizes in BASS competiitions go 6 figures. Cash works it's wonders in bringing out the competitive spirit in our Bubbas.

By all reports (that I read), fly competitions are no where near as mercinary. It takes a different mind set to stick with fly fishing.

Mike
    Bear742

I think it unlikely that someone would enter a tournament with any sort of sizable prize and fish it exclusively with fly tackle. However there are a couple of things you can do with fly tackle than cant be done with spinning or baitcasting tackle, namely present very light offerings without added weight in the form of a sinker, and recast without completely retrieving the lure. It would not surprise me to see an occasional tourney angler add a fly rod to their game day arsenal for specialized situations.

I don't think the national tournaments will ever allow fly rigs, but locally:

Quote Originally Posted by William Tapply in [i
    Warmwater Fly Fishing [/i] Aug/Sept 1999]
    When members of a local bass club invited (Tom Nixon) to participate in their tournaments on Toledo Bend Reservoir...Nixon accepted the chance to stack his fly rod up against their spinning and baitcasting gear..."Got one first , one second, and two thirds," (Nixon) recalled.
    At $350, I still would like to know what the blank is made of.

Well I know what I'll be looking for at the World Fly Fishing Retailer trade show next week! This is excellent news. It's about time the old guard decided to expand the horizons of the sport.

I think a bass pro would grab for a fly rod without hesitation if it filled the needs of the moment. If the fish are taking top water or delicate drop presentations next to cover then a fly rod allows fast and repeated presentations without retrieving line. The longer the bait is in the strike zone, the bigger the return. It's all about efficiency. I know there are times when I kick my hardware tossing friends backsides - and those fellows are pretty darn good.

Anything that promotes the sport and gets more participants involved is good. More fly fishers means a bigger market. A bigger market drives down prices due to elasticity and synergies of manufacturing. While we might end up with a fly fishing subculture that's featured on ESPN, the end result is good for all of us.

Thanks SAGE!!!

Joe C.

Quote Originally Posted by Micropteris
    Yeah 330 puts it in the 11 wt class. I use a 330 grain line on my six weights all the time. One you get past the 'oh no this is supposed to be wrong' phase fishing that line is actually pretty easy. A flick of the wrist and a big deer hare bug shoots out 60 feet no problem.

I too would be curious to see how stiff and fast the rod is in terms of line handling once the line is on the water.
    What did I miss here? The practice is to give the line weight for a rod based on the line it is designed to fish with. Thus a rod designed to fish a 330 grain line is an 11 wt traditionally. How did the Sage become a 9 wt?

Magic?

Mike G.
    Bear742

Rods are designed to work optimally with a certain load, but often may mean with 40-45 feet of line extended. But the line rating is only based on the first 30 feet of a line. 40-45 feet of a WF-8 line may weigh around the same as the front 30ft of a WF-11 line. Of course, rods actually work well with a wide range of loads, or else we would always have to cast the same amount of line.

Sage has produced a special line and taper to pick up and quickly present large and/or heavy flies close in, or shoot farther with out needing to extend a lot of line.

Shooting head anglers have long recognized that for optimal performance with 30 ft shooting heads that they need to use a head that is rated two line wts heavier than the rod is labeled. Line manufacturers have also addressed this when they specify recommended rods for their integrated lines line the Teeny 'T' and 'TS' lines, S.A. Streamer Express, Cortland Quick Descent, etc. A 300 grain head is a typical match for an 8wt rod and 350g for a 9wt.

9. Default Re: New Sage smallmouth and Bass rods

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop
    Rods are designed to work optimally with a certain load, but often may mean with 40-45 feet of line extended. But the line rating is only based on the first 30 feet of a line. 40-45 feet of a WF-8 line may weigh around the same as the front 30ft of a WF-11 line. Of course, rods actually work well with a wide range of loads, or else we would always have to cast the same amount of line.

Sage has produced a special line and taper to pick up and quickly present large and/or heavy flies close in, or shoot farther with out needing to extend a lot of line.

Shooting head anglers have long recognized that for optimal performance with 30 ft shooting heads that they need to use a head that is rated two line wts heavier than the rod is labeled. Line manufacturers have also addressed this when they specify recommended rods for their integrated lines line the Teeny 'T' and 'TS' lines, S.A. Streamer Express, Cortland Quick Descent, etc. A 300 grain head is a typical match for an 8wt rod and 350g for a 9wt.
    Very good point as I was pondering Bears comments as well. Then it occurred to me that who cares what the printed and internet convention says, Sage isn't likely to "miss" that poorly. Possible, but unlikely. Time will tell and I'm VERY interested in these rods.

What can I say....I hope I win the Smallie rod!

Either way, I wanna feel one of these in my hands with a few of my own creation's tied to the tippet....Tis the only way for me...I gotta try'em out first hand.....Now the hard part...Finding a Sage dealer close to hand.....This is going to be tougher than alot of you may think!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread