+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Sage smallmouth and Bass rods

Default Re: New Sage smallmouth and Bass rods

I'll find out for you when I visit with Rio this afternoon.

Joe

Very much appreciated!!
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

The line that comes with the Sage rod is made, as has been previously determined, by Rio. I asked the folks from Ria and the line isn't a "Rio" product but is a Sage product manufactured by Rio. It will be available for $65 from Sage dealers. It is a very radical WF that turns over hard, but works wonders when cast underhanded in the manner for which the system is designed. While it will be available separately I 'm told it might be a while before the product hits the shops - first lines out will go with the rods. I'm working to get one of the rods for a full review and I'll post back here when I do. In the interim I've posted a pretty complete report about the show at http://www.flyfishohio.com

Joe C.

Any thoughts on how the rods will handle with flies other than the big wind resistant deerhair bugs? That's all I've been able to read about is how it will do with top water action. What about big streamers or a heavy nymphing system?

John
    John

Big streamers indeed! Heavy nymphing on the other hand, would probably feel way out of place with this rod. The weight of the line would make for lousy deliveries at short distance nymphing, and is heavier than most would be comfortable high sticking.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

The rod is purpose designed to deliver top water and 'vertical drop baits' to targeted cover. It will work wonderfully with something like a big Calcasieu Pig Boat. I think it will be fine with certain kinds of warmwater nymphing for smallmouth and for 'float-n-fly' type presentations. It should also be a killer for fishing fly/spinner rigs in stillwater. I'll be able to give the definitive answer soon because...

I just got off the phone with Sage. I've arranged to purchase one of the rods from the first production run. The rods won't be available until late October, but I'm in line for first production. I expect delivery the first week of November. Also I've arranged for a phone interview with Jerry Siem, who designed the rod and line. I'll start a separate thread to take questions for Jerry for the interview, which will be available as an audio podcast through iTunes and via direct download from flyfishohio.com. I will be doing a complete write-up of the rod/line system and publishing that concurrently with the interview. I'll keep you all apprised of progress. I ordered the 290 grain Smallmouth rod, btw...

Joe C.

7. Default Re: New Sage smallmouth and Bass rods

Fantastic Joe! I'm really looking forward to hear more from you on this.

Thanks Joe!!

As nice as it would be to see flyfishing gain exposure, I doubt very much you will ever see fly rods become popular on the pro tour. Here in Fla, I fished the local club for a few years before becoming a fly fisher, and it's pretty rare to see another fly fisher in either fresh or saltwater.
    And it seems that more of the local clubs here are losing members, which is a shame, but understandable with the way some of the clubs take over the ramps during tournaments.
    Kudos to Sage for putting the development into this new rod, maybe it will take off!!

+ Reply to Thread