The rod is purpose designed to deliver top water and 'vertical drop baits' to targeted cover. It will work wonderfully with something like a big Calcasieu Pig Boat. I think it will be fine with certain kinds of warmwater nymphing for smallmouth and for 'float-n-fly' type presentations. It should also be a killer for fishing fly/spinner rigs in stillwater. I'll be able to give the definitive answer soon because...

I just got off the phone with Sage. I've arranged to purchase one of the rods from the first production run. The rods won't be available until late October, but I'm in line for first production. I expect delivery the first week of November. Also I've arranged for a phone interview with Jerry Siem, who designed the rod and line. I'll start a separate thread to take questions for Jerry for the interview, which will be available as an audio podcast through iTunes and via direct download from flyfishohio.com. I will be doing a complete write-up of the rod/line system and publishing that concurrently with the interview. I'll keep you all apprised of progress. I ordered the 290 grain Smallmouth rod, btw...

Joe C.