Last spring my in-laws rented a condo in Pensacola. Rather than spend a weekend sitting in the condo talking about aging relatives' various ailments, I borrowed an 8wt rod from a friend (who happens to be a custom rod maker) and spent two days fishing. It was pretty neat - I could fish the ocean or the intercoastal waterway - they were a 5 minute walk apart. Two days, no fish, but a nice time. Saw a couple of fish, and I think I saw some working over baitfish, but they were out well past my wading/casting distance.

My in-laws are renting a condo in the same area this year, but for a longer time. They're also talking about buying one, which would give us semi-unlimited access. So SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has decreed that if it takes a fly rod purchase to make me want to go back to FL, she's all for it.

I really, really liked the combo my friend loaned me. It was an 8 wt Sage XI2 blank he'd done, mated with a Sage 3400D reel. I am having him make me a similar rod, but I'm kind of torn on the reel. The Sage was very nice, but it's not cheap by any stretch. All of my current reels are Orvis, and while I like them I'm really not fishing where I need a drag in fresh water. Plus, I'm not happy with Orvis' decision to move production to China.

I've been kicking over either a Ross CLA or a Teton Tioga. Any reason why either of these wouldn't work?

Now I have to figure out what I'd need to make this rod work for salmon. As it turns out, my brother lives 1/4 mile away from a nice salmon river in northern MI....