+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Took the plunge - putting together a saltwater rig

Default Took the plunge - putting together a saltwater rig

Last spring my in-laws rented a condo in Pensacola. Rather than spend a weekend sitting in the condo talking about aging relatives' various ailments, I borrowed an 8wt rod from a friend (who happens to be a custom rod maker) and spent two days fishing. It was pretty neat - I could fish the ocean or the intercoastal waterway - they were a 5 minute walk apart. Two days, no fish, but a nice time. Saw a couple of fish, and I think I saw some working over baitfish, but they were out well past my wading/casting distance.

My in-laws are renting a condo in the same area this year, but for a longer time. They're also talking about buying one, which would give us semi-unlimited access. So SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has decreed that if it takes a fly rod purchase to make me want to go back to FL, she's all for it.

I really, really liked the combo my friend loaned me. It was an 8 wt Sage XI2 blank he'd done, mated with a Sage 3400D reel. I am having him make me a similar rod, but I'm kind of torn on the reel. The Sage was very nice, but it's not cheap by any stretch. All of my current reels are Orvis, and while I like them I'm really not fishing where I need a drag in fresh water. Plus, I'm not happy with Orvis' decision to move production to China.

I've been kicking over either a Ross CLA or a Teton Tioga. Any reason why either of these wouldn't work?

Now I have to figure out what I'd need to make this rod work for salmon. As it turns out, my brother lives 1/4 mile away from a nice salmon river in northern MI....

Default Re: Took the plunge - putting together a saltwater rig

I like the Sage Reels, I just bought a 3400D myself. I almost bought the 2580 reel, have a look at it they are nice reels. I do use a 2540 on my 4 wt rig, it is sweet!

Im a newbie to salt myself and I purchased a pflueger trion and it seems to be a solid reel .

The Ross CLA and Teton Tioga are both dependable reels for the saltwater. I have been using Teton's for years in the salt with no problems. I haven't actually used the CLA, but my other ross reels (cimarron, gunnison, saltwater, and big game) have seen 5 - 10 years of constant SW usage without issue.

I am a huge fan of Sage - both in performance and customer service which I have always found to be second to none. I am lucky enough to own 7 high end Sage rods and love each one of them like offspring.

Unfortunalty however the Sage reels are actually made in Korea not the US like a majority of their rods. They are good reels and are comparable to others in that price range. That said, IMHO a reel made in Korea should not go for the same as a reel made in the USA.

If you really want one, call the LL Bean outlet in Concord NH. They have a brand new 3400D for about 60% of the list price.

I might consider a Ross Evolution, a Lampson Litespeed (which I have on my 9 wt Xi2) or a Tibor Back Country. All in about the same price range and all made in the USA.

Thanks for the input, all. I think for now I'm going to go with the Tioga. I like the fact that it's an American reel, and due to some other issues I need to be at least a bit frugal.

Quote Originally Posted by 92Esquire
    Thanks for the input, all. I think for now I'm going to go with the Tioga. I like the fact that it's an American reel, and due to some other issues I need to be at least a bit frugal.
    Esquire, please check your messages.

Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread