+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vise Question and opinions sought

Default Re: Vise Question and opinions sought

tie a fly on your vise. Go to a fly shop and tie the same fly on all the vices they have there. What I prefer (Danvise over the Renzetti Traveler) is my opinion based on how and what I tie, how I hold my free hand and my tying hand. Have fun, too.

btw, sometimes I tie on one of those cheap things that comes in a kit. I tie on it at the coffee shop. Guess what? My flies are just fine - I adapt to the vise. No vise can overcome my tying flaws, but perhaps a certain vise complements my and your tying styles.

I have a half dozen vises (Danvise, two Renzettis, two Dyna-Kings, and an Orvis Baetis Premium) and have tied on all of them. I now tie only on the Renzettis -- a Traveler on the road, a Presentation 4000 at home. The Danvise was just too cheaply made for me and I found it awkward to use. I'd strongly encourage you to learn on a rotary vise and think the Renzetti Traveler is the best starter rotary vise out there.

you test drive the car you want to buy, then do the same with the vise you want to tie with. I have and use the dyna king squire it has served me well for many years and thousands of flies. Its not the fanciest vice in the world but rock soild for what i do and it wont break the bank.
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

I've owned Both Griffen and Dyna king and many other lesser vises over the years...I have NOT owned...But am looking to...A vise that is sold by Hook & Hackle that is rotary and styled like the older Renzetties...I think that or a new Renzetti traveler would be the way to go for the money....Alot of good advise in this thread!!!
    Oh...And I'd take the Griffen over the DK of those two...I've used a friends Danvise and for my tastes in a vise....I found it just to limited in working space behind the hook to be of use in many of my tying procedures...Again, Solely my own opinion!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Bill's hit on a key point. I have fairly large hands, and find that working space, especially behind the hook, is a key factor in determining whether a vise "fits" for me. Probably my best quality vise, at least in terms of materials, workmanship, and sturdiness is a Dyna-King Sidewinder. But that vise has a big mechanism behind the hook that really limits how I can use it and where I can position my hands when tying. So, it now sits in a box, brought out only on those occasions when I have really big saltwater flies to tie and need jaws of steel and a really sturdy base for tying.

Check out the Dingo from down under. It's easy from here. You are already on the website.
    Go to the FAOL home page
    In the search box type Dingo Review and hit enter
    Click on the number 1 topic that comes up and you can read the review of the Dingo Vise by Denny Conrad
    Gemrod

another article you might find informative

http://hipwader.com/2004/peak-rotary-vise-review

arend003,
    for the extension try ebay. just type in "Danvise"

If this hasn't already been said, you should also think about a vise in terms of what you're most likely to be tying and your style of tying. All vises will hold a hook to tie feathers on them. The main question is do you feel comfortable with what you are using if for? Therefore, as previously mentioned, you should tie a few flies on several different vises to get a feel for them. I began my tying on a cheap beginner vise with a head that didn't move. I reached a point when I realized my vise was preventing me from tying how I wanted, and what I wanted to tie, to my own satisfaction. That's when I knew I needed something different to suit my needs. If you're a veteran tyer then you probably have a good idea of what you need.
    I hope this makes sense for you.

Checkout the Norvise while you are at it. I don't own or use one, but have watched tyers do some amazing things with this vise. Its rotary speed is second to none due to the centerline axis. Other rotary vices are not made to spin fast due to the offset position of the arm which will cause a wobble.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread