+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHY fly

Default PHY fly

Has anyone heard of this fly? PHY fly? It was developed by, I believe, Paul Young a long ago.
    Like to see what it looks like and see how it is tied.

A second question: When you type in a fly name (or anything else) on the main page or the fly tying section on the main page... How then do you 'send', or activate the search? I find nothing to click on once I type something in...Thanks, Bob

Default Re: PHY fly

type in your word...then hit enter on your key board.

Thanks Chris...all these years... and I've never used the search. Glad it is a simple solution as I don't know much about computers beyond ebay and email...Bob

Mantis,

I tried a Google search and could not find the PHY fly, I am thinking the folks on the cane and graphite board might have some info at least to a bamboo rodmaking website that you can also post your question if you come up empty handed here. From what I found, and you probably already knew this, that Paul Young was a cane builder.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Bob:

Paul Young wrote a book titled: Making and Using the Dry Fly published in 1934 and reprinted in 1992 as a paperback.

I don't know if the pattern you are looking for is in the book, but it may be a good place to start. I have no idea who may have the book for sale.

Another possible place to ask for info is the [url=http://www.paulyoungtu.org/:347b9]Paul H. Young Chapter of TU[/url:347b9]. There may be a chance that someone in the chapter might have the pattern.

Good luck in your search.

A big DUH on me. PHY stands for Paul H. Young!

I should have been tipped off by the all CAPS spelling of the fly name...Tyrone I did mean the rod maker. I am not sure but somehow I seem to remember that his name was tied into one of the 'ex' reels...Pridex maybe?
    Bam, I did forget he had a book. Thanks for reminding me....and it is not one I have, as hard as that is for my wife to believe. I have always tended to think of his name tied more to cane rods than tying flies.... Bob

Bob:

I'm PRETTY sure he had a regular fly shop someplace in Michigan at one time and sold all of the regular fly shop type stuff as well as rods. He was considered a fly fishing pioneer and expert in addition to his renown as a fantastic rod builder.

Post the pattern if you ever find it.

Hello Bamboozle, can you tell me if Paul H. Young built cane rods into the 1950's and also if he did contract work for LL Bean perhaps? Thanks in advance for any light you may shed !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Montana:

The last fly rod Paul Young built for the Paul H. Young Rod Company was a Para-15 in March of 1960; he died a month later. The rods he built during the 1950's are considered some of his best.

To keep up with demand; he did contract with E.W. Edwards, South Bend & Heddon in his early years to build rods for HIM under his name. I am unaware of any work he did for anyone else or an L.L. Bean connection but I am FAR from an expert on Paul Young. His son Jack came into the business in the late 1930's so I guess he could have done work for Bean's after Paul's death but I don't know if there is any connection.

Here is a great bio on Paul from that FAOL place!

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... art50.html

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much Bamboozle maybe my Bean's LL isn't a PHY afterall. And what a great read the bio was..I had no idea, but then I'm no cane addict,

am I?

Happy cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread