+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PHY fly

Hybrid View

Default PHY fly

Has anyone heard of this fly? PHY fly? It was developed by, I believe, Paul Young a long ago.
    Like to see what it looks like and see how it is tied.

A second question: When you type in a fly name (or anything else) on the main page or the fly tying section on the main page... How then do you 'send', or activate the search? I find nothing to click on once I type something in...Thanks, Bob

I am PHY 's granddaughter and eldest descendant and publishing his history this year. Which fly are you calling the PHY fly? (I just sent my publisher about 5oo to photograph). Arnold Gingrich in The Well-Tempered Angler tells a lot about PHY flies. He had many, the one he's most famous for is the Strawman Nymph, white like a caddis nymph under gravel cloak. he did lots 24 and other tiny sizes, dry flies,barbless flies, ants, he wrote a book on some but it would be hard to get now (usually sells for $75 as was from 1935, 1938, or 1945.) If you are looking at something for sale such as a collection, I can say that my own publisher buys them whenever he finds them on ebay etc, they are very hard to find , too--Paul died in April 1960 but was responsible for the midge bamboo rod ( one in his line; now a generic term for all small rods not bantams ) and smaller fly-fishing equipment in general, he's in "McClanes' New Encyclopedia of Fishing ", online now at the PHY chapter of Trout Unlimited is a story of him but no specific fly. We don't mount them under glass like the John Voelker Foundation but I can send you some he's previously fished with, free, when my publisher returns them if you are wondering what they are like. What one are you looking at?

+ Reply to Thread