+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Day Trip with Shore Lunch!

Default Re: A Day Trip with Shore Lunch!

Eric;
    Those sure look better than the "C" rations I had back in '63!! "Trade ya 2 beef stews for 1 Bean's and Weiners!". But then the "John Wayne" crackers with some jelly were not too bad! Some of the stuff was packaged back in the 40's!! Viceroy Cigarettes in 4 packs to boot! Ate a lot of fried rice and scrambled eggs back then too!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    Eric;
    Those sure look better than the "C" rations I had back in '63!! "Trade ya 2 beef stews for 1 Bean's and Weiners!". But then the "John Wayne" crackers with some jelly were not too bad! Some of the stuff was packaged back in the 40's!! Viceroy Cigarettes in 4 packs to boot! Ate a lot of fried rice and scrambled eggs back then too!
    Yeah, the John Wayne bar still ranks as my all time favorite candy bar. In the late 70's I had some C-rats packed in '35. There is something about smoking cigarettes that are twice as old as you are. The "ham and eggs" meals were the worst!

Ed

The reason I like canoes is much the same why I like pick-up trucks for camping ... I always carry so much junk along!

In the case of my canoe(s), love to pack a lunch for a river day trip and usually have one of those small ice coolers if all is just for a day. Have an old G.I. back pack ... the very kind I had when I was in the service ... where I stuff in a skillet, an onion and maybe even a couple three taters and a small bottle of olive oil. I love to pull up on the bank and have a little fish fry, with a few fixin's to go with it. For a stove I have one of those little Coleman single burner Peak stoves (pump-up/gas). To make a river trip even better, I've been known to take the dome tent and spend the night, too!

Hey ... but just to pack a sandwich and an apple and some drinking water, I'm good to go even for a day!

Dale

nighthawk Guest

Ahh yes, the Green Eggs and Ham, Sam I Am! We were eating C's packed in the fifties because you guys ate all of the WWII C's! Then came that awful first round of M.R.E.'s You guys would have killed for the eggs and ham C versus just about any early M.R.E. Dehydrated pork patty, yummy.[url=http://www.thesmilies.com:ddbb8][/url:ddbb8]

The Heater Meal is the result of many years of research, along with G.I.'s barfing, for suitable meals for the military. Heater Meals are very good and very easy to pack. Just like the C Rations take the contents out of the box and carefully pack separately. Now you can flatten the box and pack it in a smaller space. Do Not throw the box away as it is your "oven". Also give the little packet of salt water some extra packing as it is the activator for your oven.

What the heck is the matter with me?! I am telling combat Veterans how to pack their gear! My swashplate must need lubed![url=http://www.thesmilies.com:ddbb8][/url:ddbb8]

For those that want to know, here is a swashplate:

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/swashplt.html

Blog Entries

So Jack, just what DID y'all do for (to?) lunch?

Ed

I went into the service at the time they were using up all the old "C's" from WWII ... everything was in tall cans, AND, the cigarettes were usually Chesterfield or Lucky Strike (non-filter) and you got a full pack! It was the newer ones that came out during Korea, where the main meat meal (like beef steak) was in the lower profile can, much like a tuna can. Then they went to the four pack, filtered smokes. But the all time barf "C's" that I ever put in my mouth was from that old WWII lot and that was "Sauage Patties".

Dale

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW
    I went into the service at the time they were using up all the old "C's" from WWII ... everything was in tall cans, AND, the cigarettes were usually Chesterfield or Lucky Strike (non-filter) and you got a full pack! It was the newer ones that came out during Korea, where the main meat meal (like beef steak) was in the lower profile can, much like a tuna can. Then they went to the four pack, filtered smokes. But the all time barf "C's" that I ever put in my mouth was from that old WWII lot and that was "Sauage Patties".

Dale
    Cooked, canned sausage patties![url=http://www.thesmilies.com:2dc92][/url:2dc92] No wonder you guys fought like you were mad. Burning 7,000+ calories a day, all you have to look forward to is your meal and someone gives you WWII sausage patties. That would make me mad too.

There is one thing that came with the C rations that you do not get with an M.R.E. It is one of the very best, most versatile tools ever invented. The P-38 can opener and its larger version the P-51 can opener.

+ Reply to Thread