+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fly shop / guide in Breckenridge CO area

Default fly shop / guide in Breckenridge CO area

Any suggestions for a fly fishing guide in the Breckenridge area?

Default Re: fly shop / guide in Breckenridge CO area

kennymac,
    I'll put in my 0.02. I was just there at the end of July for was what was more of a family trip than a fishing trip. I did fish three days, maybe one day more than I should have if you know what I mean. There are two shops in town on Main Street. I visited both, multiple times. A couple of those times where just because they weren't a T-shirt or a knick-knack shop - didn't buy anything but didnt seek any advise either.
    When I return I will use Breckenridge Outfitters exclusively. I got the feeling in the other shop that the customers (not just me) were interupting something. The first time I walked in the Breck Outfitters a guy come from the back of the store, introduced himself, and shook my hand. They didnt have what I needed that day, but I returned for some flies the next day even though the other store was a shorter walk.
    BTW, I didnt use either shop for their guide services only supplies.

I fished the Blue north of Dillon Res. at the second and third public access sites outside of town. There was some really good looking water in both spots, not to mention some rainbow colored footballs. Not much dry fly/terrestrial action for me, instead SJ worm or mysis shrimp. I had read the shrimp wouldnt be down that far. No surprise...fish cant read.
    Also consider the Mohawk lakes a few miles south of town off of Spruce Creek Rd. You need 4x4 or AWD with some clearance - a Subaru for example. There's about a mile hike at the end of the road. Fair number of hikers but I saw no other fishermen. The lakes are not quite to the timberline, gin clear and full of 12-14" cutts that will try anything twice.

John. Thanks alot!

I hope I see some of those footballs!

I've frequented all the shops in Breckenridge and have used the guides at Mountain Angler. I've guided with both Doug Hardwick and Matt Krane and had great experiences . . .

Joe

Hey there Ken,
    So does this mean we won't meet and shout at each other across the Snake river at the Wilson Bridge near Jackson Wyo this year ? Our current "rough " plan is to be there about Sept 25 th thru Oct 15. In any case , good luck in Colorado.

Mark

I'll second the folks at Breckenridge Outfitters.

+ Reply to Thread