+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eagle Claw Laser Hooks

Default Eagle Claw Laser Hooks

So, I'm cruising around Cabela's comparing prices to my local shop for a few items I need to pick up and I'm looking at their hooks. In the suggested other items there are some Eagle Claw Laser Hooks that are red and being marketed as streamer hooks, nymph or scud hooks. I'm guessing its just to add a little flash but could also help imitate a bleeding or wounded baitfish. I've never seen a fly tied with them and wondered if anyone had ever used them. Eagle claw isn't really a name you hear much in fly fishing (I think)because they're inexpensive, but thought someone may have an opinion one way or the other. Here is a link to the hooks: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 359318516a
    Leave No Trace

Default Re: Eagle Claw Laser Hooks

Maybe for salmon or steelhead. I say let the Fly speak for itself on a regular color hook. You don't want the fish to notice the hook!
    Even if I was tying a Fly to hang on the wall, I wouldn't use a red hook because it would distract from the Fly's design.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

A couple of years ago I wanted to try a Clouser on a circle hook. I did catch a baby tarpon on it and it worked just as advertised. When I went to get my hooks the only ones I could find in the size I was looking for had that red color to them. I don't know if it made any difference one way or the other but the fly did work in my application.

Rusty <><

Think chironomids. I've also used the octopus style hooks for articulated leeches and tube flies. I've always been a bit dissappointed by the longevity of the coloration, however. Wears off pretty quickly. The Eagle Claw 1197N is the standard hook used these days for shad in my area, but I don't often use the brand otherwise.

Normand Guest

i have heard of people fishing just a red hook as a san juan worm imitation so thats what i would tie on them

Red hooks are VERY popular with the conventional bass fishing crowd and I use them a lot myself with soft plastic baits. The theory is; it is supposed to imitate a bleeding critter which would appeal as an easier target to a feeding fish.

It makes sense to me and I have had good results when I use them although I never did a side by side comparison with a standard worm hook. One thing I have tried is rigging up two rods with the same soft plastic bait; one with a standard worm hook and one with a red hook. If I get a hit and miss the fish with the standard hook; I switch to the red hook on the premise that the fish hit the bait and injured it; hence it would be bleeding. When I have done this follow-up with the red hook in this situation; many times it results in another hit or a catch. While I can't guarantee it is the same fish that hit the second time; it is kind of interesting when you think about it.

As far as their use on trout flies based on the bleeding critter theory; it would only make sense on a streamer since I don't think bugs bleed red. I don't see why it wouldn't work or help on a baitfish imitation like a Black Nosed Dace. Using them on any other fly is just more bling which isn't a bad thing although where do you stop color wise?

I mean if red is good would hot pink be better?

+ Reply to Thread