I've used the braided loops as described above and they work OK. Lately I have gone to whipped loops as they seem a little easier for me.

I just make a loop in the end of the line and use my fly tying bobbin and threader to make wraps around the doubled over line. First lay the threader along the loop, This adds some strength to the line to make whipping the thread easier. Make wraps covering about a half inch of the doubled thread and cut the thread. Slip the cut end through the threader and pull it through the wraps. trim the thread end (you can cut it short before you pull it through if you like so there is no tag end above the wraps. Coat the thread wraps with Pliobond or another flexible cement and you are good to go. I like this method as I can make the loops as big or small as I like, also it is easier than trying to thread the line into the braided loops (for me anyways).

I use this method for almost all my line ends with heavier lines like fly lines and lead core. No failures so far and I've been using it for 2 years now.

Rick