+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera for Fly pictures...

Default Camera for Fly pictures...

I didn't know where to post this question, but this seemed logical.

What cameras do you use to take pictures of flies?

I would like to get a digital that could be used for both still close pictures (flies) and action shots (fishing, casting, wildlife). Are there any cameras you recommend?

I was into photography in highschool and college, but that was all 35 mm. I am new to digital and don't trust big box store people in helping me. The local photo shop had some info but couldn't give me answers on durability and water resistance. So any advise in that department would be great.

What is your favorite camera?

Thanks a bunch.

Default Re: Camera for Fly pictures...

I have a fujifilm Finepix A345 4.1 megapixel.
    Has a nice macro mode!(example)
    and as for action shots it takes really nice non blurry shots even from a car at 70mph on the freeway.

I really like it.

Blog Entries

mine is a perfect camera for an angler: it's a Sony Cybershot, model DSC-T7. measures about 3 1/4 by 2 by 1/2 inches. you can take close-ups of flies and action shots of your Best Fishing Buddy and long shots of scenery, all really good. in its waterproof case it still fits just fine in my vest or pocket. the waterproof case is called a Sportspack, cybershot SPK-THA.

the camera is embarassingly expensive (even my best, most favorite rod didn't cost this much), but it does take wonderful photos. my only complaint is that the clear plastic back panel of the waterproof case got all scratched up, so it's a little difficult to see the big display on the back of the camera. the little lens window, though, is still clear, and it's still waterproof after two years. it's going to be ages before i have to replace this thing.

i checked recently and it's possible to find both items if you Google them.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

This was taken with an optio w20 by pentax which is waterproof to depths of 1.5 meters for thirty minutes. It also has a very nice macro setting.You can click on the thumbnail to see more detail.[url=http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q269/crockeryflytyer/borchersdrake-Date-timeoriginal_000.jpg:1b502][/url:1b502]
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

The Pentax Optio WP series is a great little waterproof camera. But, this answer totally depends on what you want for image quality. There are many great cameras out there, and most of them are not water resistant. If you want weather sealed DSLR's, you will be spending alot of money. Waterproof covers/casings for DSLR's cost as much or more than the camera body alone. What many people do is risk it and tote their camera in a waterproof case.

You have many great choices right now, as Canon and Nikon, are coming out with new camera bodies. The Canon 30D is dropping in cost, and is a great camera. Same with the Nikon D200. Pick the glass you want to shoot with, and then pick a camera. If you want to shoot wildlife, a DSLR is the way to go, as you have a huge variety of lense choices. Don't forget a good tripod. After the camera body and lense, the tripod is your next most important item -- and don't skimp on the quality of your tripod.

Choices, choices, choices... you didn't say how much you wanted to spend. Heh, heh... You think fly fishing is expensive?

Hex in my camera case:

Bluebirds:

Normand Guest

i use a pentax optio w30 fly flyfishing and fly photos. i can get it wet and it focuses down to 3/8 inch away in macro setting.

for everything else i use a nikon d40. this one stays dry no matter what.

i use a cannon AS710 it is very easy to use and has a great macro settings
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

Hi,
    I use a Canon Power Shot S3IS, Nice little camera. 6.0 Mega Pixels, unbelievable Super Macro feature,
    1-3/16 X 1-5/8 adjustable viewing screen, fully auto or manual....Just under $250.00

[url=http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/hcmiller51/agent99test1111111111111copy.jpg:3d413][/url:3d413]
    Click to enlarge

I have a Pentax Optio W10. Great waterproof camera. Supposed to be able to take photos under water but I haven't gone there yet. It did get dunked when my fishbud's canoe went over but it still works fine. I know it has a very close macro setting for close up shots that is closer than a lot of other digitals. It is not shockproof though so I try to be careful with it.

http://shorterlink.com/?UJDBB5

Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Thanks for all the great info. I would like something under $300 that is water proof to at least a meter. I'm not going to be taking underwater shots, but my vest and pack frequently get wet while wading. I am a very aggresive wader, and in shallow water I have been known to get on my knees and crawl up on trout, and I also fish in the rain and snow quite a bit. I can always get a soft pouch for the camera so shock resistance isn't that big of a concern. I do want to take pictures of flies with it, but it would mostly be a vest camera to start with. If I get into it more, I can always upgrade to a camera that will stay dry for better shots.

+ Reply to Thread