That is an interesting story. I have caught quite a few smallies on the Grand Ronde, and they are a hoot, so i can see them moving into and up the D. Too bad, as the best fly i found for them was a salmon smolt!

While still in middle school in Anchorage, I had to get rides to the rivers and lake from my dad's co workers as no one in my family fished. I would show them where and how, and they got me there. On one trip, I took a new transfer to Ship Creek, in down town Anchorage. We were soaking eggs on a spin and glow in the tide water near the mouth. His rod went down with a fish, so he played it, landed it, and all was fine. While the fish was still in the net, we noticed that it was not his hook that had hooked the fish. Someone else had hooked the fish, and broke it off at the swivel. My friend had hooked the swivel of the previous person's rig! A hook point going through the eye of a swivel, in moving water seemed way too much to believe. Had I not witnessed it, I would not believe the story.

Have fun, Jeff