+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New pontoon rigging / sonar-GPS question

Default Re: New pontoon rigging / sonar-GPS question

ROR-EYE
    The seat is only about 4" higher than the fixed so you still have a lot of leg in the water. I just rotate my legs counterclockwise to go to the right or clockwise to go left.

I added a swivel for the seat to my Cougar...no problem...picked one up at Wal-Mart very inexpensive...mine didn't have a post so very little rise.....

Quote Originally Posted by ROR-EYE
    Fly Goddess,

I have an Outcast FC Cougar and a friend has been trying to talk me into doing what you've done with your pontoon. That is, put a complete deck on it. What are some of the advantages, besides sight fishing, and disadvantages, if any, that you have found?

The only disadvantage to a full platform is it is harder to break the boat completely down ( in my case to a back pack size). I never break it down anyway so it is not a problem. Just deflate the two pontoons and fold them over the platform.
    It is nice having all the room for gear and not worrying about dropping something to have it fall in the lake. I don't use an apron, but rather a basket to my left on the platform. Works out great for stripping the line in.

Thanks. I appreciate the replies.

Jack,

What brand of post is it that you have on yours?
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

ROR-EYE
    I picked up the base and post at Wally World and don't remember the brand. I actually have the base mounted upside down. It's ment to be mounted down through a hole in a bassboat deck. I had to enlarge the mounting holes as they don't quite match the holes in the frame.
    I car top mine so removing the seat makes it a bit lighter.

Have you looked at the photos of my rod holder? I'll find them and bump them back up.

Is the rod-holder the 9' PVC? If so, then yes I saw it. Pretty cool idea.

Default Pontoon Rigging

Fly Goddess,

I hope this question finds you out fishing.

Do you employ the same "Dip Steering" method with oars, as I do with my trolling motor shaft locked in a straight forward or reverse direction? If not, how in the world do you get that thing to turn without a handle to hold?

"And modified a Minn Kota for pennys to come up with one that I can control foward/reverse and all speeds from right next to me."

Quote Originally Posted by ROR-EYE View Post
    Fly Goddess,

I hope this question finds you out fishing.

Do you employ the same "Dip Steering" method with oars, as I do with my trolling motor shaft locked in a straight forward or reverse direction? If not, how in the world do you get that thing to turn without a handle to hold?

"And modified a Minn Kota for pennys to come up with one that I can control foward/reverse and all speeds from right next to me."

First off, I am sorry but the Minn Kota 30 I was using with the modified speed box is no longer with us. It died IN THE MIDDLE OF A LAKE ARGH!
    I now have the MAXXUM 40. It is a sweet motor with more of a gradual reostat. The more you turn the handle the faster it goes, no clicks. I can have the blade turn real slow to hold position. A little more money but worth every cent.
    In answer to your question...FINS or feet. I steer with my feet . I fish some waters where a motor is not allowed so I bought Fource Fins.
    On windy days, I can kick allong with the motor on low to hold a position.
    I did find out the hard way, that I can steer without flippers and just my feet, but I have to be going a little faster and the turns are not as sharp.

I haven't modified the new motor yet because of the warranty, but I an 99% sure I am going to do it anyway. The handle hits me in the back of the head when I go to dock and raise and tilt the prop so it doesn't drag. Same thing I did on my modified, but this new motor is 6" longer and to be honest, it BITES on the shore aproach. Nothing that can't be fix....I saved the wire tape and control box, he, he, he.

+ Reply to Thread