Dear danbob,

Mounting the transducer can be done a zillion ways. The first thing I'd try is simply attaching it to a webstrap and strapping it around one of your pontoon tubes. I've seen others build fancier mounts using a section of PVC pipe like you use for indoor waterline, some of them even rigged the transducers to tilt out of the water so they don't get hung up.

As far as a battery for the depth finder Cabela's sells small 12 volt rechargeable batteries. You can get two batteries and a charger for about $ 30.00. The batteries aren't any larger or as heavy than a 6 pack of canned beer or soda and you could easily fit one into one of the pockets on your toon. I think if you look you can also get dual chargers that let you charge from both 12VDC in your car and 120AC at home so you can always have a fresh battery. I'm pretty sure Joni "the inflatable boat freak" has those batteries from Cabela's. I definitely remember her posting about them somewhere on the WWW.

Mounting the sonar unit can easily be done with a couple of u-bolts attached to a convenient place on the pontoon frame. RAM makes all sorts of mounts for electronics that can be swiveled, or interchanged, or removed when not in use. The sky, and your wallet, are the only things limiting what you can do with a sonar unit. I'm pretty sure the high end units are far more sophisticated than the navigational equipment that took the Apollo astronauts to the moon and back in 1969.

Best Wishes,
Avalon