+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellowstone

Default Yellowstone

We're going out to Yellowstone next weekend. Does anyone have any reports of how the fishing is these days? I am aware that the time-of-day fishing restrictions were lifted just last week, so I will be aware of warm-water situations. Any advice will be appreciated. I hope to maybe get a few casts in on the Madison, maybe at Gull Point on Yellowstone Lake, up near Nez-Perce Ford on the Yellowstone, and perhaps spend a bit of time in the Lamar Valley area (Lamar River, Soda Butte Creek, Slough Creek). Thanks, all.

Default Re: Yellowstone

Check out www.blueribbonflies.com, lots of info for that area. Have a great trip.

Normand Guest

you might want to check the rocky mountain board here

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=83

I'm jealous! I know you will have a good time, no matter how good the fishing is.
    Looking forward to your post report.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

FlyFlinger,
    Google the info to contact one of the following three shops....Arrick's, Bob Jacklin's, &/or Bud Lilly's. All three are in West Yellowstone and can give you up to the minute assistance. Good luck and have fun. Regards...
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Slough is fishing well, with some fish well into the 18-20" range. Got a report from a guy I met in SLC last week on my way back from a west coast fishing trip myself... Taking dries, nymphs, and small streamers.

Marty

Hello

Just got back a couple weeks ago from a week in Yellowstone. You should consider fishing the following:

Slough Creek in the first meadow BUT also be sure you fish the boulder field from where Slough leaves the meadown and plunges down to the slower water above Slough Campground. That boulderfield is LOADED with nice Rainbows and Cutt's. A Hopper with a beadhead (fast sinking) nymph will catch you a mess in the boulder field. Fish up in the Meadow were taking well tied hoppers and CDC ants.

Grebe Lake was fishing exceptionally well while I was there. Rainbows and Greyling were crushing a mix of dries (CDC Caddis, emergers, Adams Parachute), wets like Chronomids and Hare's ears.

Do not waste your time on the Yellowstone in the park as it's dead. FLoating the Yellowstone below the Yankee Jim Canyon is awesome though with lots of big fish.

Also wandering outside the park to the MAdison below Quake LAke near the 3 Dollar Bridge has been great. LOTS of big fish here on nymphs during the day and dries in the evening.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the info. By the way, I am on Bud Lilly's subscription list, so I get their reports regularly.

If I manage to catch anything, I will be thinking gratefully of the tips I have received on this board.

+ Reply to Thread