+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you handling the heat?

Default How are you handling the heat?

Those of us in the South East are suffering through severe drought and record setting highs! eg. This Sunday is forecast to be 96 and the coolest day since August 2nd! I have fished 1 day this month! The Duck River is well over 70 degrees and the Elk while at 58 degrees is a slimy mess. My new pontoon is languishing in the garage. Can't, and don't, want to even think about practice casting.
    I have cleaned all my rods, reels, lines, etc. Orginazied my flys and other gear. I should not have to tie another fly for months and my furled leader supply over flows!
    Our normal temps for August are mid 80's and we are some 14 inchs of rain behind this year.
    How or what are you doing to get around this awful weather?

Default Re: How are you handling the heat?

How am I handling the heat? I'M SWEATING LIKE A HOG, THAT'S HOW I'M HANDLING THE HEAT. Plus it's making me a bit testy. I'm headed out for the evening hatch at Mentor Lagoons, and chasing undersized gills and tight-lipped bass. Then I have to get everything in order to teach 15 scouts (12-15 year olds) fly tying and casting on Saturday. Two entire troops decided to go for their Fly Fishing Merit Badge at the same time. Should be a good time. They're cooking lunch for our team as well. THAT should be interesting.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    Those of us in the South East are suffering through severe drought and record setting highs! eg. This Sunday is forecast to be 96 and the coolest day since August 2nd! I have fished 1 day this month! The Duck River is well over 70 degrees and the Elk while at 58 degrees is a slimy mess. My new pontoon is languishing in the garage. Can't, and don't, want to even think about practice casting.
    I have cleaned all my rods, reels, lines, etc. Orginazied my flys and other gear. I should not have to tie another fly for months and my furled leader supply over flows!
    Our normal temps for August are mid 80's and we are some 14 inchs of rain behind this year.
    How or what are you doing to get around this awful weather?
    Jack,
    I'm not going to be rude telling you about our weather! I'm sorry your having such problems with the heat and no rain! Were having the weirdest August in maybe 40 yrs! (on the positive side) Heaven only knows WHAT our weather is going to be in September!
    I wish you could come here and relax!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Personally, I am swimming, skin diving, riding one of my classic motorcycles, and fishing, fishing, fishing.

I'm origianlly from N. Texas, so this heat is nothing to me...just business as usual. I learned at a very early age to:

1. Always wear shoes outside, so you won't cook your feet on the concrete, puncture them with stickers, and/or step on cactus, wasps, asps, snakes or Sycamore Beetles.

2. Don't lean on cars. You will get a 2nd degree burn on your hand!

3. Always take a jug of water with you when you leave the house. Keep several in all your vehicles.

4. Drink Slurpees RRREEEAAALLL slow to avoid the top of your head blowing off from the cold!

5. If all else fails, go fishing.

Semper Fi!

This is from the meteorologist's blog from the Mt. Washington (N.H.) Observatory from last weekend

01:11 AM Sat Aug 18th

Temperature read out at 2 am EDT

When I look at the forecast for the next 36 hours, I get an unsettled feeling in my stomach. It isn?t because I think I did an insufficient job forecasting. It isn?t because we have a potent storm forming nearby. It isn?t because we are going to break any ground shattering records and have the press swamp us. It is because of the temperatures and winds we will be getting will be creating some wicked wind chills for this time of year and there is bound to be at least one unprepared person out there.

Normally, August is one of our warmer months up here but over the next 36 hours, it will feel more like late fall rather than late summer. While valleys will be getting to temperatures in the mid 60s during the days, summits will be plunging below the freezing mark (32 Fahrenheit) tomorrow and will continue dropping until bottoming out Saturday night in the mid 20s before slowly rising (but still below freezing) on Sunday. Winds will be averaging between 50-70 mph during the day Saturday, 45-60 mph during the night Saturday, and 30-50 mph on Sunday. When you combine these two factors, you get wind chills on the order of 10-20 Fahrenheit Saturday, 0-10 Fahrenheit Saturday night, and 10-20 Fahrenheit Sunday.

For those who don?t know what a wind chill temperature is, it is the temperature it feels like to people (and animals). It is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin. The faster the wind is, the faster body heat is carried away which in turn lowers the skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature. This in turn can bring about frostbite to exposed surfaces or hypothermia. Given the conditions this weekend, frostbite will set in to any exposed surfaces in a matter of 30 minutes especially in areas of the body with poor circulation.

So what are some things that you can do to prevent the effects of wind chill and possible frostbite? First, I would encourage hiking another time if possible. If you decide to make a go at it though, first check the forecast to see if anything has changed. Next, with the valleys being so ?warm? and the summits so ?cold,? dress in layers storing the extra layers in your pack, including a warm coat (LL Bean makes a few good ones that we wear). Make sure any clothing you are wearing is either made of wool or synthetic material, cotton is not a viable option. Wear thick wool socks or multiple layers of synthetic socks in good boots. Gloves are a must as well as a cap or balaclava of some sort. Pack plenty of food because you tend to burn more energy when it is colder. Insulate your water so it won?t freeze. Let others know of your plans or check in at a Visitor Center at the base of the summits. Some optional items to pack are goggles, hiking poles, crampons, and anything else you would normally pack for a late fall hike because it will definitely feel like it this weekend.

Ryan Knapp ? Meteorologist
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

According to The Model for global warming, Middle Tennessee is supposed to be one of the truly big winners in the Climate Change Sweepstakes. We are supposed to have milder winters and COOLER, WETTER SUMMERS! We are looking at 100 + almost every day and no rain. Pooh! Oh well, we're supposed to get downright chilly in a few days, 92. Brrrrrrrrrr. I've gotten a couple of flannel shirts out.

At least the lawns don't need mowing. The rivers do, but not the lawns... The Harpeth and Stones Rivers are getting pretty nasty.

I am very thankful for A/C.

Ed

Ed,
    Is JACK going to be forced to quit fishing and join a GANG?
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Jack,
    Learning to deal with heat is a lifestyle change. Personally I didn't think it was all that bad when I was up there 3 weeks ago from Florida. Some of the locals were complaining about it but to me it wasn't all that hot. the humidity is what seems different to me. Dryer in the mountains. Try getting a straw had that will allow air to circulate. Jim Norman ( I think it's Jim) the golfer has a nice style hat. Drink plenty of water and stay away from "replacement" drinks like Gatorade except in small quantities unless you're really sweating a lot. If you do drink it try cutting it with water half and half. Stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible. Wear short pants. I only own three pairs of long pants and those are for dress up occasions. I wear Cabela's six pocket shorts everywhere.
    Down here we say JAPDIP... Just Another Perfect Day In Paradise.

I had to come back and edit this. After I got to thinking about it there's a lot of things I think we do different in the south than "the way we did it up nawth." We hear that all the time too. I once heard that iced tea is the table wine of the south. My mom likes her's with key lime in it but then she has a tree. My wife uses lots of lemon in hers. I drink mine straight up with sweet n' low.
    I think we also eat more vegetables. Save beef and pork for cooler weather. Someone also once told me that the Mexicans who work in the fields around here are better able to handle the heat because of all the hot food they eat. I don't know about that, I think it was one of those prejudice thoughts coming through. A large salad makes a great noon time meal. Stay away from the heavy stuff. This might turn into a North vs. South thread before it's over. Maybe you need to learn to like grits as well. That might help.

Rusty <><

With five bamboo rods to make in various stages of construction from just split to waiting on the first coat of varnish to dry I am having no trouble staying in the basement shop where it is cool. Add to that the half dozen rods to repair and eight dozen flies to tie for an order, I think I will be there for awhile. Heck, I will probably still be there when the weather turns too cold to be outside.

fishbum

Jack + Grits= Marriage Made In Heaven!!!

Jack,
    Have you changed your Diet now that your residing in Tennessee????
    Doug (Possum?)

+ Reply to Thread