Woke up early Saturday AM to take the tube out in search of some large mouth. Got to Alum Creek Res. and into the water at about 6:30am amidst a lot of surface turbulance. It was still dark enough that I couldn't tell what these fish were hitting on top or what the fish were, but my heart was thumping any way. I tied on a yellow & red popper, a size 2. I cast out and trolled it out into the bay I was fishing, big splashes all around. After working the shore line and the middle water and not having a single hit I began to wonder. It had gotten light enough that I could see the only thing on top was the occasional shiners jumping up. I decided to tie on a Feather Body Soft Hackle dropper I had tied earlier that week (for the New Tyers Swap, not one I sent out though)to see if I could entice anything in.

Well, to make a long story short, I tried several buggers and leaches and even a San Juan Worm for gills or crappie. And NOTTA! I did end up catching a hand full of small BG on a PT nymph. It was a beautiful morning and very comfortable though. I even had to throw on the long sleeve T. If you've never sat and watched the sun burn off the foggy mist from a lake, I'd highly suggest it. Watching the mist rise in spinning tentacles all around me was almost eerie. It had the appearance of long, twisting fingers reaching up from the depths of the warm water.

Well, I had a few hours before I had to be home so I stopped on the Olentangy River to try to at least find something. I fished for 30 minutes and only had one hit on a Red Tailed Wooly Worm. I switched up to an orange over brown clouser and started fishing it on a down stream swing and that was just the ticket (again!). First fish was a 16" SMB which is a PB for me. Boy was that fun! I caught a couple smaller ones afterward and noticed that the run I was moving down into was at the back door of a home. The residents were out on the porch swing having morning coffee and watching the water. Here is my chance to really show off my skills, I thought. I worked that clouser everywhere, made some really long casts to show off a little bit and notta! I thought maybe one more cast down in the fast water then I'll move on. Well, I saw a red tail fin following my clouser and my heart stopped for a moment. Then, my reel sang that sweet song in the clear morning as line was rapidly running off. I knew I had something big on. The fight pursued and it was the classic give and take, tug of war of fighting a big fish that we all just love. My arm got tired so I switched up for a minute. That arm got tired so I switched back. The monster carp finally tired and I was able to bring it to hand almost 10 minutes after hook up. After showing off my prize to the couple on the swing and letting it go (I'd guess it at about 8 or 9 lbs.) Quite a ride on the 5 wt with 5x tippet (I'd never caught anything of size in the Olentangy before). I reeled in and headed for home. All in all, the Tangy saved the day. Hope you guys got out. Sorry no pics.

Kind of a long post, but thought I'd take you guys with me for a bit. Anyone else have a productive weekend on the water?