+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is good fishing a short drive from Phoenix? In mid-Sep

Default Where is good fishing a short drive from Phoenix? In mid-Sep

A not-yet-converted-spin-casting-colleague and I will be in Phoenix in mid-September. We will have almost an entire day free and want to find a place to fish. It needs to be a place we can wet wade or bank fish. I called a fly shop in the Phoenix area, and he mentioned a place up north called Oak Creek. Anyone know about this place or have other suggestions?

We aren't necessarily targeting any particular species. He's a traditional bass fisherman, and my limited experience is primarily with panfish.
    Tim

Default Re: Where is good fishing a short drive from Phoenix? In mid-Sep

Oak Creek is a small stream N. of Sedona. Even if u don't fish it, it is a very scenic drive. It is a trout fishery. The stream is very brushy and will be a challenge to fish. That whole area is worth seeing even if you don't fish. Take a camera. It's about 1.5 hrs N. of Phoenix - depending on where you are in the spread out metro area. You might also do some research on the Salt River - not a trout fishery. Sorry I can't help you with that one

Oak Creek in Sedona.

I have fished it. I get down there a bit but I don't think I will bring my fishing gear ever again. It has some smallish rainbows which are put and take type of fish and it also has some brown trout that holdover but they seem to be few and far between. For a first fly-fishing experience Oak Creek doesn't seem like a very good bet for actually catching some trout, just my honest opinion. Beautiful spot though. That picture was taken way downstream from the canyon and I don't even think trout can survive that far downriver. If you find any cool fishing down there please let me know because to date I have found none.

Oak Creek is a nice place to just plain "be" in SEP.
    If you want to fish it it'll be a challenge since the browns are pretty spooky and far between. They usually hit on little bwo type things or size 14-18is' sized white spinners. They love to chase black buggers but don't really hit them. Regular size nympys in popular patterns work for the quiet holes. Roll casting is a plus and I have had luck with my shorty rod as opposed to a full length fly rod. (converted 6' one piece spinning blank into a great small stream rod esp for Oak Creek stiff to cast but a great solution to the area environment) There is a stocking schedule posted at the Arizona Game and Fish website.
    Wading is not necessary but there are so many people and pets in the water already it's up to you. And speaking of that you might want to try different stops along the road since some places are more swimmin' hole and less fishin' hole-everybody work together to enjoy nature now....

If you just wanna fly fish you can always go to the ponds next to the PHX zoo. Good bass come out of there. Use popular bass flies. Not too much shade last time I was there.

You might also check into Saguaro Lake/River. N/E of Mesa. Just as nice but different than Sedona. Same amount of time to get there from PHX-head north on HWY87 and make a right at the sign just after Fountain Hills-then come back at night and see the fountain shoot water really really high in the air. There are bass in the river and fish of all sorts in the lake. The river is down the road from the lake. Busy on weekends but a place you gotta see to believe. I think you'll have more fun being there than Sedona. LM and SM Bass mostly-like to hit on cray'ish patterns or clouser things. Buggers of the popular colors are also good. Not too much brush and the river is kinda "just right" size for a regular fly rod. Bring your ploarized XRay specs and scope out your spot before stopping. Bring a camera just for the scenery.

Hope that helps your search a bit. Maybe if our children marry I'll turn you on to the really good spots.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Well, we're not expecting a Blue Ribbon fishery, we just want to get out and see some good scenery if nothing else. That does look like a beautiful area.

We're not stuck on trout fishing. So I will look into the Salt River too.
    Tim

Daniel J,

Thanks for your post. You snuck that post in there on me. You must have been about done typing when I started.

The Saguaro sounds real neat. I've not yet had the opportunity to go after smallies. I'd bring my 6wt then instead of my 4wt... or both. Hmmm. That's a lot of fishin' stuff to bring on a business trip.

Crowds shouldn't bother us too much as we'll be there on Monday the 16th.

Excuse me, I need to do some googling on Saguaro.

Maybe if our children marry I'll turn you on to the really good spots.
    Tim

You can get by just fine with a packable 6wt.
    There are lots of "Urban Lakes" in the area if you don't want to spend all your time driving.
    Checking the Dept of Game and Fish website is a great start.

I've had most luck everywhere with a medium sized olive bugger with a gold bead head.

I'm not giving away any more secrets

OK, Back to defending freedom
    See ya'll on the water in the spring
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Thanks again for the tips. I had looked into the "Urban Lakes" also, but since our plane arrives at 8:00 a.m. and we have no obligations that day, we have plenty of time to go somewhere. And were interested in seeing some scenery too.

Saguaro Lake and the Lower Salt below it look like a neat place to go. Looking at the Lower Salt on google maps, there is a parking lot down the road a little ways from the lake, and looks like there are paths from the parking lot to the river. Is this public land with fishing permitted here?
    Tim

Hey Tim,

My brother fished Oak Creek a few years ago and got into some decent fish. I'll give him a call and see what he was using, if I've got any of what it was I'll give them to you this weekend.

TT

The parking lot on the lower Salt is an indicator of overuse, but not by fishers. Kids "floating the Salt" in innertubes. If you've ever seen the original Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Ron White spoke of his experience floating on the Salt.

+ Reply to Thread