+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dick Tracy Grip

Default Re: Dick Tracy Grip

I attempt to always use the thumb on top when I fly fish, but, lately, I have had to use the "Dick Tracy" grip at times during fishing. It may be my age or arthritis, but, after several hours of fly fishing with the thumb on top, my thumb joint becomes very sore and will remain very painful for several days after fishing. It may also be the way I cast and if it is, I would appreciate any input from anyone because the thumb joint is very painful. What I do now is use the thumb on top for a few cast, wrap thumb around cork on a few casts and the "Dick Tracy" grip. This seems to help eliminate the thumb joint pain afterwards.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have always used the "Dick Tracy" (never heard that term before - I've seen it described as a "3 point" grip once or twice) grip. It restricts my wrist breaking down and hinging too much, resulting in tighter loops. Since the rod does most of the work for distance and it doesn't hamper double hauling, I haven't noticed any loss of distance compared to the thumb on top grip. What you're used to, I guess.
    Joe

It's the "Lee Wulff" grip. I watched him demonstrate fly casting many times at numerous confabs. He could lay out 90 feet of line effortlessly with it. Sometime he kept his finger straight and sometimes he bent it. I watched him closely because that is the style I have always used. Never did get that 90 feet with it though! I tried the thumb on top but never felt comfortable with it. The rod grip kept twisting in my palm and next thing I knew the fly reel was horizontal instead of vertical. It helps your accuracy on short casts too. Not many people use it. I think it is a natural thing with those who do. There is no reason to stop doing it if it feels natural to you. When I played golf I also putted with my index finger held down along the shaft of the putter.
    Cordially,
    Bob

The grip is also good if you tend to bring your back cast too far back. Use the grip and point up on the back cast.

+ Reply to Thread